Remove Menu from Panel [SOLVED]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dinosaur1946

Remove Menu from Panel [SOLVED]

Post by Dinosaur1946 »

Hi All

Mint 18.3 Cinnamon.

Using Alt+F1 to open the menu, I thought I could safely remove the menu from the panel.
However, when you do, Alt+F1 opens a workspace. Mint 17.3 didn't have this problem.

I am trying to limit access to certain Icons on the screen, as there is no keyboard attached.
Only when I plug in a keyboard should I be able to access the menu.

Can I run the Menu from a command and what would that command be.?
Have tried looking for it, but to no avail.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Remove Menu from Panel

Post by deepakdeshp »

With vncviewer installed on any machine on your LAN you can use gui and menu of your mint computer and run it headless
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Dinosaur1946

Post by Dinosaur1946 »

Hi All

That would be a whole new learning curve for me.
Additionally, my Lan is disabled on each machine as I am running Time critical
machine operations.

Appreciate the suggestion though.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

In all versions of Cinnamon alt-F1 opens the workspace overview (aka Expo). If your 17.3 acts differently, you have changed it.

You can open the keyboard settings and disable the shortcut for expo. Now you can open the menu configuration (right click the menu icon in the panel) and set the keyboard shortcut for it. Never tried that myself, as I would not know why.

The menu is an applet. I don't know a command line method to open it (or any applet at all).
Dinosaur1946

Post by Dinosaur1946 »

Hi All

Cosmo, yes I did change it on 17.3 but the Menu could still be opened by pressing Alt+F1
after removing the Menu from the panel.
In 18.3 it won't.

deepakdeshp I bit the bullet and installed X11vnc server on the remote and VNC Viewer on the laptop.
Figured I could just enable the network whilst updating the machines, and then shut it down again.

All working fine, however the object is still to allow only certain applications on the remote.
Imagine a blank screen with no Panel, one application Icon, and one locked folder.

Ok, so I can put lots of Icons in the locked folder, but that still does not give me access to the Menu.?

Any suggestions ?
Dinosaur1946

Re: Remove Menu from Panel [SOLVED]

Post by Dinosaur1946 »

Hi All

In the end it was easy.
Create a Folder on the screen (I called it Desktop2)
Create sub folders named as per the Menu (ie: Preferences, Administration etc)
Right Click on every Menu Entry and "Add to Desktop"
Then drag each Desktop Icon into the appropriate /DeskTop2/ subfolder.
Even allowed me to group the Icons by Function. (ie: put all network / Internet Icons in Networks sub folder)

Removed Menu from screen and all is good.

All I have to do now, is get rid of the "Right Click Menu" from the screen.

Return to “Cinnamon”