Desktop on 4K monitor?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
windyweather
Level 3
Level 3

Desktop on 4K monitor?

Post by windyweather »

Since you can't buy anything less than a 4K monitor [ well it's hard anyway] and Linux Mint makes a great Media system.

Has anybody ever tried to use Mint on a 4K TV? I have a 65" 4K TV - not bragg'n. Just say'n.
I jacked the Font scaling to 2.4 and most things can be seen at that point.
But the panel scaling needs to be WAY UPPED. It barely works at all when shoved all the way to the right.

Someone else should give it a try.
Needs a few tweaks for 4K.
Thanks,
ww
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
[Systems include LM 20 in VirtualBox / Win 10 Host on AMD Ryzen 3800x / AsRock A300 Ryzen 3200G]
songhuijohn
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Desktop on 4K monitor?

Post by songhuijohn »

Have you tried using the Double (HI-DPI) option for User Interface scaling?
You can select the Double (HI-DPI) option by doing the following:
- left click on the menu icon
- left click on the System Setting (control center) icon
- left click on the General icon in the Preferences section
- left click on the User Interface scaling drop down list arrow
- left click on Double (HI-Dpi)
Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon, Mobo MSI A68HM Grenade, AMD A8-7600, 4GIG DDR3 1600, SSD Patriot Blast 120 GB
oldcharlie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by oldcharlie »

What songhuijohn said.
I just bought a 40" 4k Samsung for my Linux 17.3 Cinnamon desktop and was going nuts because the best resolution I could get was 1920 x 1080. When I increased to full 4K (3840 x 2160) the bottom panel was off screen. Finally found the Double (HI-DPI) and used that with great results. A friend who is strictly a window person was riding me because he said in windows all you have to do is right click on the desk top and set to 200%.
Just for reference:
I have a 40" using 3840 x 2160 and for me that provides a very nice experience.
My windows friend has a 50" using 3840 x 2160 and he is happy. He also does intense on line gaming.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 4.2.4 64 bit; 4.15.0-72 Kernel; Core i5-6260U, 16GB, Intel Iris Graphics 540
sevendogs

Post by sevendogs »

Using Mint on a Dell 34" 4k monitor at 3440x1440 ( not 'true' 4k) with DP no scaling and works perfectly.
lacho

Post by lacho »

Unfortunately at the time there seems to be no proper support for 4K in Mint and for this reason I had to switch to Ubuntu for my home machine.

The Double (HI-DPI) scaling is not really an option because it scales things 200%. So you end up with the same screen as if you had an HD monitor, except everything is much slower, because of the additional work for the scaling.
And not using any scaling... it's terrible, you'll go blind soon.

You need to be able to use a scaling of 150% or 175% to get any benefit of using a 4K monitor.
Currently Ubuntu has some experimental (and buggy) support for that, but not Mint.

I hope to see such support in Mint soon, because I hate having to run Windows because of that (and Ubuntu is not too great also) :D
zaileion
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zaileion »

So I just put up my new TV Samsung Q9FN. saved for months my GF and I. Hung it on the wall, hooked up my Computer 3640x2160 and its so darn small I can't ever read it. I gotta get up and stand 2ft from the TV to be able to see the content. Tried all the things... HIDPI (200%) scaling the fonts. some of it works a little... but an actual scaling slider like in Ubuntu is required. I love Linux Mint. I've been singing the praise of this OS for years. Like 5 years or more, its Legendary as i posted on another of my posts but 4K TV's been out for a while now...
normann

Post by normann »

I have 3 4K monitors.

When I got them, I initially tried scaling fonts up everywhere, but things would look really wonky and it just wasn't going to look or work very well.

The best solution is to set the User Interface scaling to "Double (Hi-DPI) in Preferences -> General and then scale fonts DOWN. I have my Text scaling factor set to 0,7 in Preferences -> Font Selection and it works really well. Only a few application causes me to squint now lol
benmccann
Level 1
Level 1

Post by benmccann »

There's a pull request out that would fix some of the 4k monitor issues: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/pull/9821. Unfortunately it's been pending since Jan and hasn't seen any activity
crazyaxe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crazyaxe »

Update
Cinnamon Linux Mint 19.1 works great on 4K.

EDIT: go to Settings -> General: enable scaling to HI-DPI. Desktop is resized for everyday office use!

Return to “Cinnamon”