Starters Disappeaing in menu and panel

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iIMMIi
Level 1
Level 1

Starters Disappeaing in menu and panel

Post by iIMMIi »

Starters placed in the menu and on the panel do not show up after boot until I restart cinnamon. (In an other install of Mint 18.3 I have they do not even show up after restarting cinnamon but at random times or after reinstalling them). Only manually installed apps seem to be affected. While not present in the menu (and menu editor), they are present in /usr/share/applications.

What can I do about this? It's not much of a hassle to restart cinnamon but the issue in the other cinnamon install appears to be even worse since I have to reinstall them every time.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Starters Disappeaing in menu and panel

Post by orschiro »

Have you already tried a brand new user account? Same issue there?
iIMMIi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iIMMIi »

No, brand new profiles do not seem to be affected. At least it's unlikely but I can't say for sure since I only tested 10 times and the error is not guarantied to appear every time I log in to the affected account.
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by orschiro »

No, brand new profiles do not seem to be affected
Can you transfer over all your files to your brand new account then which is not affected? Is this an option for you?
iIMMIi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iIMMIi »

Wouldn't this just copy the source of the problem to the new account? Since the mad or conflicting config which probably cause the problem files would be copied as well?
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by orschiro »

You could exclude hidden files and subsequently only bring over those that you need and know what they are there for.
iIMMIi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iIMMIi »

I guess that would be a solution. It would delete any application settings wouldn't it? Is there a way to just purge settings related to menu, panel and starters? Which folders or files would that be?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

iIMMIi wrote:I guess that would be a solution.
The first place to start is with the theme you're using.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Cinnamon”