[SOLVED] login screen can't change username

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mudshark

[SOLVED] login screen can't change username

Post by mudshark »

stupid question, I have now configured NIS on my fresh install how can I change the user name on the login screen (i.e. get a username box), only the name of the user I created at install time appears, at the moment I'm logging in on the first virtual terminal and running startx
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: login screen can't change username

Post by trytip »

in the menu search for Login Window open it click Theme and select one of the Arc-Wise Userlist
mudshark

Post by mudshark »

actually now I've ran startx as a NIS user and rebooted that NIS user appears on the login with the local user! :)
however to get a username box I'll try your suggestion, cheers
mudshark

Post by mudshark »

solved - under 'login window' -> 'Users' tab there is the option 'Allow Manual login' with this set to 'on' it adds the option to enter a username.

PS no Arc-* anything appeared under Themes

Last edited by mudshark on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i believe you need to install the mint-mdm-themes package to see all available in repos some have all users listed on one page like the Arc Userlist Themes
mudshark

Post by mudshark »

thanks, but my own reply above is the solution, I don't want a user list (we have lots of users) but simply an input box that you put the username in.

Return to “Cinnamon”