Is it possible to use i3 on top of Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
EnergyDust

Is it possible to use i3 on top of Cinnamon

Post by EnergyDust »

Hello mint society.
I will be concise. Can i use i3 and Cinnamon, and swap between each other.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Is it possible to use i3 on top of Cinnamon

Post by Hoser Rob »

I did a search and there is a guide on github, but there isn't that much info out there and I'm not convinced this is a good source, but here it is ...

https://github.com/erikdubois/LinuxMint181i3

... but I can say that you wouldn't be able to switch WMs on the fly, just at boot.

Really though I don't think this is all that beginner friendly. Not something I'd try on my only computer. Messing around with stuff loike this is fine IF you have a spare machine you don't really need.

They also don't seem to have any user forum and you'll probably need it.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Hi. Extensive i3-wm user here. :) Yes, you can do that. Just remember to select the i3 session when you go to log in. Installing i3-wm in Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based distributions (such as Linux Mint) is as effortless as sudo apt-get install i3. I use a very lightweight, customized Ubuntu-based setup myself, which is exclusively i3-wm, so it is a thing. However, just in-case, I checked for you and yeah, it loaded it up without any hitches.
.lmscrot.jpg
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
dreamer505

Post by dreamer505 »

Termy wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:50 pm Hi. Extensive i3-wm user here. :) Yes, you can do that. Just remember to select the i3 session when you go to log in. Installing i3-wm in Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based distributions (such as Linux Mint) is as effortless as sudo apt-get install i3. I use a very lightweight, customized Ubuntu-based setup myself, which is exclusively i3-wm, so it is a thing. However, just in-case, I checked for you and yeah, it loaded it up without any hitches.

.lmscrot.jpg
What desktop environment did u use when u installed i3.
Does i3-gaps work too? I would like them to work on Cinnamon.

Return to “Cinnamon”