Cinnamon does not start after logging in - Linux Mint 18.2 "Sonya"

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
_Bajiru_

Cinnamon does not start after logging in - Linux Mint 18.2 "Sonya"

Post by _Bajiru_ »

I installed LM 18.2 "Sonya" yesterday on VirtualBox. I actually was going to do so 2 days ago, but the installer ran into an error saying it could not install a language package and after that the whole installer crashed and the installation was canceled. However, the second installation was successful.

After the 1st boot, I tried to install Guest Additions. The installer said that there is an existing installation of Guest Additions. So, I removed the "virtualbox-guest*" packages and installed the new additions from the ISO. After typing "sudo reboot", the system rebooted successfully. However, when I typed in my password and pressed Enter to log in, I am welcomed with a black screen with a cursor only. When I press Ctrl-Alt-F1/-F2/-F3... /-F5 I can go into the tty sessions. Only one time Ctrl-Alt-F7 showed me the virtual desktop selection screen and then the system froze. After that, I encountered the black screen again.

I cannot remove the additions by going to tty1. When I type in "sudo apt purge virtualbox-*", it says that there are no such packages.

I think that the problem occurred from the VirtualBox Guest Additions.

I have attahed an image from the system below in the attachments.

Can you please help me?
Στιγμιότυπο οθόνης (114).png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Cinnamon does not start after logging in - Linux Mint 18.2 "Sonya"

Post by Cosmo. »

At first: which version of VB?

At second: By pressing ctrl-alt-F1 (and so on) you get into the virtual console of the host. To reach the virtual console of the guest you have to press host-F1 (and so on).
_Bajiru_

Post by _Bajiru_ »

Cosmo. wrote:At first: which version of VB?

At second: By pressing ctrl-alt-F1 (and so on) you get into the virtual console of the host. To reach the virtual console of the guest you have to press host-F1 (and so on).

First: VirtualBox 5.2.2 (5.2.2 r119230)
vbox_lmforum.JPG
Second: I cannot remove every VirtualBox related package in the tty1 session (Ctrl-Alt-F1). It says that such packages do not even exist.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

_Bajiru_ wrote:Second: I cannot remove every VirtualBox related package in the tty1 session (Ctrl-Alt-F1). It says that such packages do not even exist.
Tell us exactly, which package do you want to remove and wherefrom (host / guest)? I told you already, that you cannot go into the virtual console of a guest with that shortcut.
_Bajiru_

Post by _Bajiru_ »

Cosmo. wrote:
_Bajiru_ wrote:Second: I cannot remove every VirtualBox related package in the tty1 session (Ctrl-Alt-F1). It says that such packages do not even exist.
Tell us exactly, which package do you want to remove and wherefrom (host / guest)? I told you already, that you cannot go into the virtual console of a guest with that shortcut.

Never mind, I reinstalled Linux Mint and it works perfect! I learned my lesson - if a distro includes VirtualBox Guest Additions by default, don't remove them. :D

Return to “Cinnamon”