Show applications of all workspaces in panel

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
OlVerm

Show applications of all workspaces in panel

Post by OlVerm »

I'm using Cinnamon 18.2 with several workspaces.

When I switch to a workspace only the applications of that workspace are displayed in the panel on the bottom of the screen. I'd like to have all applications of all workspaces be listed in the panel all the time, so that I can easily switch to a running instance of, say, the web browser or terminal window.

The only way I can currently fix this issue for me is on a window-by-window basis, by selecting Always on Visible Workspace from the context menu (on the title bar) of any application window. However, this is tedious and a recurring, manual activity.

Any hint for a solution? Is this not yet possible? (i.e. should I convert this question into a feature request?)
Sir Charles

Re: Show applications of all workspaces in panel

Post by Sir Charles »

OlVerm wrote: I'd like to have all applications of all workspaces be listed in the panel all the time, so that I can easily switch to a running instance of, say, the web browser or terminal window.
I use xfce and this might not be exactly what you want to do but I believe it can be less tedious than what you are doing now. I have added an applet called "Windows Button" to my panel. A click on that will reveal a list of all your workspaces and under each workspace, all the currently running applications are listed. Clicking on the application you want, will take you directly to the window of that application. It was long ago I used Cinnamon but, if I remember correctly, "Windows Button" can be added to your panel in Cinnamon too.
Last edited by Sir Charles on Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I am not sure if there exists an alternative applet for window list. But you can install windows quick list with close button, this does what you want. Right click the panel on an empty place and select to add an applet. Go there to the side for available applet in the net.

Alternative: Press ctrl-alt-tab instead of alt-tab for switching between the windows; this shows the windows of all workspaces.

Or press alt-F1 to open the workspace overview (aka Expo).
OlVerm

Post by OlVerm »

Thanks to both of you ! I had already found some of your helps, other are good to know ! I used Ubuntu for several years before (but changed because my old laptop wasn't ok with it and works a lot better with Mint) and on Ubuntu I saw always all the windows from all workspaces on each of them. It was a lot easier to click on one of the windows and jump to it.
I'll do it with the alternatives you told me and if someone has another option for having them just all on each panel, always happy to find how to fix it !
MaksChornyi

Post by MaksChornyi »

I had same problem on Linux mint 20

how i found the solution?

I open my browser (and it appeared on my panel, right?), after this, i clicked right button on the browswer (in panel) and pressed preferences. After this - configure

'General' tab. 'Show windows from all workspaces'

Done.

right click on thumbnail -> preferences -> configure - >general tab -> Show windows from all workspaces
Last edited by karlchen on Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: the "browser" is not the "(internet) browser". - apart from the wrong term, the steps should be all right. - Closing old thread, before it gets resurrected a second time.

Return to “Cinnamon”