Desktop Display issues

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Redpanda1217
Level 1
Level 1

Desktop Display issues

Post by Redpanda1217 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:44 pm

So I am brand new to Linux in general, and just installed Mint 18.3 with the newest cinnamon 64-bit desktop. After changing the primary display and the order of the screens (I have two monitors) and then rebooting, upon startup the displays are not responding correctly. I had it so my left monitor was primary and now it is my right monitor that shows the toolbar and welcome screen. Further, clicking on the left monitor produces nothing while clicking on the right monitor causes menus to pop up on the left monitor. I'm unsure where things went wrong and navigating this way is frustrating and mostly fruitless. Thanks in advance for your help!

kc1di
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Desktop Display issues

Post by kc1di » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:30 am

Hello Redpanda1217 and Welcome to Linux Mint forums,
good to have you here :)
Sorry I can't be of help with your problem but I'm sure someone will be along soon that can.
Have a good day :)
Easy tips : https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

acas88
Level 1
Level 1

Post by acas88 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:17 am

I am having the exact same issue with my monitors. I have a laptop monitor that I do not use and my primary SHARP monitor. When I restart the computer it switches the primary display. How do I keep my primary display to the SHARP monitor?

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hoser Rob » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:38 am

acas88 wrote:I am having the exact same issue with my monitors. I have a laptop monitor that I do not use and my primary SHARP monitor. When I restart the computer it switches the primary display. How do I keep my primary display to the SHARP monitor?
Start your own thread. Thread hijackers are very annoying.

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hoser Rob » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:39 am

Redpanda1217 wrote:So I am brand new to Linux in general, and just installed Mint 18.3 with the newest cinnamon 64-bit desktop. After changing the primary display and the order of the screens (I have two monitors) and then rebooting, upon startup the displays are not responding correctly. I had it so my left monitor was primary and now it is my right monitor that shows the toolbar and welcome screen. Further, clicking on the left monitor produces nothing while clicking on the right monitor causes menus to pop up on the left monitor. I'm unsure where things went wrong and navigating this way is frustrating and mostly fruitless. Thanks in advance for your help!
Need more detail. Copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

acas88
Level 1
Level 1

Post by acas88 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:18 pm

I fixed it thank you. I had to go to power management and change the "when laptop lid closed" to Turn off screen. Next time I'll start my own thread.

Return to “Cinnamon”