Slightly annoying Save As behavior

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
a.bowers
Level 2
Level 2

Slightly annoying Save As behavior

Post by a.bowers »

I've found a thing that I wish didn't exist.

Open Xed or any other file generating app, click Save As, navigate to the folder you wish to save the document in, and then begin typing your desired file name. The file name field remains highlighted throughout this whole process, but if you've used the mouse to navigate to a folder, when you begin typing, it pops up a little text box, which I assume is a search bar. Your eyes are drawn to the highlighted text, so when you begin typing, you don't see a white/light grey text box subtly appear in the lower corner. Now you have to take your hand off the keyboard, grab the mouse, click in the text window, and move your hand back to the keyboard. It only does this if you've navigated through the file system in that dialog, if you save into whatever directory pops up, it works as expected.

At the very, very least, it needs to un-highlight the text in the file name box to indicate that box is not active for typing.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Slightly annoying Save As behavior

Post by Cosmo. »

You are right, that is a search box. It shouldn't really not take the focus from the search bar at the top away, a good workflow is impossible at now with "save as".

I also agree that the name field shall not get highlighted, if it does not have the focus. This is against all written and unwritten rules of software design. That are by far not the only bugs with xed.

BTW: Gimp does not show the save as problem.

There is a problem with your post: We can assume here, that it is about Cinnamon, but you did not say which version. I assumed LM 18.3 and tested it there.

Return to “Cinnamon”