Fn+F4--what does this do?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
minticle
Level 1
Level 1

Fn+F4--what does this do?

Post by minticle » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:19 am

This has been driving me crazy. Sometimes I hit fn+F4 by mistake, and the following happens:

1. The resolution of my screen goes berserk--the applet icons in the upper right-hand corner go fuzzy and small, and various app windows change size (sometimes in opposite directions!)

2. If I hit fn+F4 again, the icons momentarily return to their original size, but the screen then gets tiled into 4 smaller screens. Did you see the first episode of Rick and Morty season 2, where they split the timeline/screen into multiples? Exactly like that, except the screens are frozen. (Though I just discovered that sound still works, so maybe just the video card is affected?, also, the freezing is not consistently reproducible, but happens intermittently. I just verified this by trying fn+F4 in a clean session with nothing running but the window manager.)

3. When this starts, I can enter console mode, but cannot return to Cinnamon again--the screen stays black and the computer is unresponsive.

4. A hard reboot is the only way to return things to normal that I have round.

My question: How do I find out what this key combination is assigned to? I have looked at every keybinding under Settings/Keyboard and poked around in gconf-editor but neither place lists fn+F4 as a shortcut in current use.

I've posted my hardware configuration viewtopic.php?t=253680. The NVIDIA drivers have been updated but I use the Intel card normally.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Fn+F4--what does this do?

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:40 am

Take a look into the hardware documentation; possibly available online, if you do not have a copy.

minticle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by minticle » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:27 am

The hardware documentation for what?

hattpa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hattpa » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:45 am

Your computer. Many laptops use this combination to toggle between laptop display and external screen
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
Mark Twain

minticle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by minticle » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:59 am

Okay, can you guys dumb it down for me? Suppose this does toggle between screens. How do I turn this off in this OS, given that this is not mentioned in any of the keyboard shortcut listings in Cinnamon? The documentation for this laptop is going to be for Windows.

Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Penn » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:48 pm

You don't turn it off in the OS.

The Fn key function is different from one computer manufacturer to another because it is integrated into your BIOS. If that key combination does that on Linux, it will also do that on Windows or any other OS. Hardware level.

It may be that you can turn it off in BIOS/UEFI but as stated above, only your computer's documentation can answer that.

Return to “Cinnamon”