Cannot elevate to root in GUI/desktop

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jelabarre59
Level 2
Level 2

Cannot elevate to root in GUI/desktop

Post by jelabarre59 »

Whenever I run any applications that would prompt me for my password for sudo (USB Image Writer, gparted, etc), all I get is some flickering dialogue box that *should* be prompting me for a password, but instead it seems it's immediately failing on the password prompt without ever taking a password, and the dialogue immediately goes away. I can use sudo and gksudo from a command line with no problem, but this requires me to know what the specific command for that menu entry is (USB Image Writer is the same utility as the USB formatter, just different command switches. That also fails, obviously).

It would seem to be a problem in my profile, since I don't have this happening in other machines.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Cannot elevate to root in GUI/desktop

Post by austin.texas »

I can't say that I understand what is causing that problem. It could be a problem with pkexec instead of sudo.
Just to check your profile, post the result of the command:

Code: Select all

find $HOME -not -user $USER -exec ls -lad {} \;
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
jelabarre59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jelabarre59 »

austin.texas wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:59 am I can't say that I understand what is causing that problem. It could be a problem with pkexec instead of sudo.
Just to check your profile, post the result of the command:

find $HOME -not -user $USER -exec ls -lad {} \;
(I didn't set the original post to notify me of replies, so only just seeing this one)

Tried that command, and the only files not owned by me are some files in my source-code subdir, and my anbox emulator (none of which would interface with the system utilities). Thus far I get failures with USB Image Writer/USB Formatter (they work off the same executable), the "LightDM GTK Greeter settings", Grub-Customizer, GParted, and some other similar ones that I can't remember immediately.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, jelabarre59.

I just checked here on my Ubuntu 16.04.4. The application menu item "GParted" launches the command gparted-pkexec. I.e. the user id switch to root is not done by gksudo, but by pkexec.
What you could try in order to find out whether it is this pkexec which causes the problem to you is this:
  • Open a terminal window.
  • Launch GParted by executing

gksudo gparted
    This works correctly? Right?
    Close GParted again.

gparted-pkexec
    Does it work when invoked from the commandline? Does the terminal window display any error messages? In case it does, please, post them here.
Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
jelabarre59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jelabarre59 »

karlchen wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:52 pm I just checked here on my Ubuntu 16.04.4. The application menu item "GParted" launches the command gparted-pkexec. I.e. the user id switch to root is not done by gksudo, but by pkexec.
What you could try in order to find out whether it is this pkexec which causes the problem to you is this:
  • Open a terminal window.

gksudo gparted
    This works correctly? Right?
    Close GParted again.

gparted-pkexec
    Does it work when invoked from the commandline? Does the terminal window display any error messages? In case it does, please, post them here.
"gksudo gparted" works fine (have had to do that before, but some other tools want to behave differently depending on how they're called). "gparted-pkexec" fails.

~ $ gparted-pkexec
Error executing command as another user: Not authorized

This incident has been reported.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, jelabarre59.

Sorry for not coming back earlier. - Could you, please, check whether the executable has still got its "s" bit on the owner:

ls -l /usr/bin/pkexec
This should return

$ ls -l /usr/bin/pkexec
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 23376 Jan 18  2016 /usr/bin/pkexec
Note the initial rwsr.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
jelabarre59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jelabarre59 »

Same permissions here, date is almost the same.

-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 23376 Jan 17  2016 /usr/bin/pkexec
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

jelabarre59 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:21 pm

~ $ gparted-pkexec
I get the same thing, but with more fluff:
$ gparted-pkexec

==== AUTHENTICATING FOR com.ubuntu.pkexec.gparted ===
Authentication is required to run the GParted Partition Editor
Authenticating as: lemur,,, (lemur)
Password: 
polkit-agent-helper-1: error response to PolicyKit daemon: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: No session for cookie
==== AUTHENTICATION FAILED ===

In another thread it was reported that "gksudo" is going away, to be replaced by this buggy, touchy "pkexec" and "admin:///" stuff (from freedesktop.org!).

FWIW, I wrote a simple replacement for gksudo:
$ cat bin/Gksudo

#!/bin/sh
#
xfce4-terminal --command="sudo -H -i -u root bash -c '$*' &" --geometry=45x10 
I tested it with thunar and firefox and it doesn't change settings in your $HOME or take ownership of any files. So far...

In one way it's actually better than the original gksudo because there's a (small) terminal which shows error messages and such.

PS: check :

ls /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/*part*
/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/com.ubuntu.pkexec.gparted.policy
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Cinnamon”