[SOLVED] Attach dialog windows to the parent window

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

[SOLVED] Attach dialog windows to the parent window

Post by Moem »

This is not a question; I'm posting this information because I've looked for it for ages and it's not self-explanatory.

In Cinnamon, on the Windows settings page, Behaviour tab, there is an option called "Attach dialog windows to the parent window". If this is enabled, dialog boxes will not only be in a fixed position, the parent window will also be covered in a dark overlay or grey / gray shadow. This means that if you're trying to adjust colours on an image in Pinta, you'll have to do it blindly because the image is too dark to see properly and you can't move the dialog box.
Disable it and it all works as it should.
It's not at all clear from the description of the setting that it'll do this.

Now that I've typed it down, I will probably never forget again. And maybe this will help someone else too!
Pinta_overlay.jpg
Pinta_nooverlay.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [SOLVED] Attach dialog windows to the parent window

Post by austin.texas »

That would indeed be annoying.
Fortunately, the default for "Attach dialog windows to the parent window" is OFF.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: [SOLVED] Attach dialog windows to the parent window

Post by Moem »

And that's a good default. Unfortunately it's easy to turn it on and not realise that the dark overlay will be a side effect, and then spend ages to find the problem. Now at least a forum search might turn it up!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Cinnamon”