screen freeze

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JonathanPhilippe

screen freeze

Post by JonathanPhilippe »

In some older cinnamon editions this was a problem. After it seemed solved, it returns however in the newest distro. Seems random and therefore it is hard to find an explanation (memory? crash of something specific). I notice that having firefox and chromium running (about 20 tabs open in each, including an data intensive exchange) is almost for certain resulting in a freeze. Cannot explain why.
Further the file manager crashes on very large file systems I noticed. It just gives up and then you can reopen it again. Also this seems random and without specific cause.
I think the screen freeze is a serious problem - I even considered reinstalling an older distro that never had that problem.
If somebody knows what the cause is for a screen freeze, please reply to this post. (Don tell me it is hardware - I run it on a a optiplex 760 that never gives me problems)
By the way: I noticed that during sessions the system slows down. I think that should not happen - at least: it was never the case in previous distro's.

Hope this will be solved - mint is my favorite OS since long & i sure want to keep using it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: screen freeze

Post by catweazel »

JonathanPhilippe wrote:(Don tell me it is hardware - I run it on a a optiplex 760 that never gives me problems)
Ok.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The amount of information that you give goes in the direction of zero. You do not tell, which version of Mint you are talking about. You do not say, what
JonathanPhilippe wrote:After it seemed solved
this might refer to. What you describe regarding the browsers (freeze) and regarding the file manager (crash) seem to be different things. Did you try to disable hardware acceleration in the browsers? Heaven knows, what exactly this
JonathanPhilippe wrote:I even considered reinstalling an older distro that never had that problem.
might mean.

What shall we take out of this sentence:
JonathanPhilippe wrote:I run it on a a optiplex 760 that never gives me problems
Your very vague post is about nothing than problems - supposedly with this hardware. "Never" a problem? To my understanding it should read "ever".
JonathanPhilippe wrote:By the way: I noticed that during sessions the system slows down. I think that should not happen - at least: it was never the case in previous distro's.
And again: Which previous distros? What exactly does slow down?
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello JonathanPhilippe and Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,
I know you are fustrated, but the best way to get help is to calm down and give us information.
please first post the output of this terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Perhaps someone will notice something that can be fixed.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

JonathanPhilippe wrote:... If somebody knows what the cause is for a screen freeze, please reply to this post.....
You think there's just one possible cause for a screen freeze????
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Cinnamon”