Desktop goes wonky when flash drive inserted

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
krustybaguette
Level 3
Level 3

Desktop goes wonky when flash drive inserted

Post by krustybaguette »

This is what happens when I plug in any usb flash drives. When I remove the drive and reboot desktop returns to normal until the next time. I don't have a clue as to what to do. I tried booting into the three different kernels that are available with "advanced" options in grub. In addition I have not installed the new kernel 4.4.0-112-135. This problem began after I upgraded from 17.3 to 18.3. My system is a Lenovo Thinkpad T-520, 8gb RAM.

Screen background should be the Northern Lights photo from Desktops provided in my distro. Icons get scattered about and obscure the regular desktop icons for home, computer, trash, etc.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Desktop goes wonky when flash drive inserted

Post by trytip »

don't use photobucket they are evil, i can't even see the image
there may be something wrong with the connection. does it do the same in any usb port? there may be some error messages in .xsession-errors you may have to scroll for a while. this error log can get quite large (you can delete it safely and it will regenerate on next boot)

Return to “Cinnamon”