Compose no longer works

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Compose no longer works

Post by ganamant »

I have a problem with the keyboard. For some reason, the compose key no longer works. At the same time, I can't use the unicode input metod either: when I type Ctrl+Shift+u the underlined u doesn't show up and I can't type anyting. On the console, however, everything works as usual, so it there must be a problem with X or Cinnamon. I tried different layouts, just for the sake of it, and they all have the same issue. Layouts with dead keys no longer support the dead keys, so basically I can no longer compose anything with anything. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Compose no longer works

Post by Cosmo. »

What is your version of Mint and what is the desktop environment? If you don't know open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

inxi -Sz
Paste the output here.

What do you mean with "console"? The terminal or a virtual console (ctrl-alt-F1)?
Open the keyboard settings -> layout -> add a new keyboard layout (with dead keys) and remove the current one. Also open the options (button on the right bottom) and see, if there are any non-default settings (they appear in bold). Set them back to default.
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Compose no longer works

Post by ganamant »

Thanks for offering your help. It seems like the problem was actually part of a broader problem of data corruption on my hdd. I Solved everything with a disk wipe and a fresh install. I'm still in the process of recovering from my backup and reinstalling stuff, but everything seems fine at this point.

Return to “Cinnamon”