Cinnamon corrupted? All I get is black screen and mouse pointer

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
DaveJones
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon corrupted? All I get is black screen and mouse pointer

Post by DaveJones » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:28 pm

Well, after doing an update today and rebooting, I was greeted with a black screen and the mouse pointer. All I could do is move it. After dropping into shell, I was able to restart cinnamon and I did get the default cinnamon theme/settings.

Did my settings get messed up? How do I remove all the settings and start from scratch? I'm guessing dconf settings will need to be cleared up as well.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Moem
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Cinnamon corrupted? All I get is black screen and mouse pointer

Post by Moem » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:46 am

What was the update? I wouldn't be so quick to say the problem is with Cinnamon.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

DaveJones
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DaveJones » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:57 am

Moem wrote:What was the update? I wouldn't be so quick to say the problem is with Cinnamon.
Hi Moem!

I finally updated to 18.3 from 18.2. Something is wrong with some of the Cinnamon settings. I know that for sure because I created a brand new user and started Cinnamon desktop and everything works fine. But when I log into my normal account, I get black screen and everything's unstable. I'm note sure what I should clear up to get it to vanilla cinnamon again so I can boot normally.

Thanks for reading!

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:36 am

To reset Cinnamon right click the panel on an empty place -> troubleshooting -> reset to default.

Return to “Cinnamon”