Cinnamon corrupted? All I get is black screen and mouse pointer

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DaveJones
Level 2
Level 2

Cinnamon corrupted? All I get is black screen and mouse pointer

Post by DaveJones »

Well, after doing an update today and rebooting, I was greeted with a black screen and the mouse pointer. All I could do is move it. After dropping into shell, I was able to restart cinnamon and I did get the default cinnamon theme/settings.

Did my settings get messed up? How do I remove all the settings and start from scratch? I'm guessing dconf settings will need to be cleared up as well.

Any advice is much appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Cinnamon corrupted? All I get is black screen and mouse pointer

Post by Moem »

What was the update? I wouldn't be so quick to say the problem is with Cinnamon.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
DaveJones
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DaveJones »

Moem wrote:What was the update? I wouldn't be so quick to say the problem is with Cinnamon.
Hi Moem!

I finally updated to 18.3 from 18.2. Something is wrong with some of the Cinnamon settings. I know that for sure because I created a brand new user and started Cinnamon desktop and everything works fine. But when I log into my normal account, I get black screen and everything's unstable. I'm note sure what I should clear up to get it to vanilla cinnamon again so I can boot normally.

Thanks for reading!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

To reset Cinnamon right click the panel on an empty place -> troubleshooting -> reset to default.

Return to “Cinnamon”