Adding avatars to user profile, LM 17.3

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Adding avatars to user profile, LM 17.3

Post by ganamant »

In Cinnamon, there are a few pictures that one can add to the user profile, e.g. a bird, a football, a lightning bolt and so forth. I have been wondering where the images are actually located and whether I can add a few more.

I searched, and I found two directories:
/usr/share/cinnamon/faces/
/usr/share/pixmaps/faces/

They both contain the same collection of 96x96 pixel jpg & png images, so I'm confused about which set is actually in use and which set is a copy and why the copies are there at all, as opposed to symlinks, for instance. Do I need to add new images to both places? Also, can I add new images to some place in the home path, so I can leave the system files alone?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Adding avatars to user profile, LM 17.3

Post by Cosmo. »

Store the picture you want to use in your home and give it the name .face. Note the leading dot (the file is usually hidden in your file manager, to make it visible press ctrl-h) and no name extension. It should get loaded automatically (possibly after login in anew).

Return to “Cinnamon”