Shortcut for Auto-hide Panel

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ShadowMessiah

Shortcut for Auto-hide Panel

Post by ShadowMessiah »

Are there any shortcuts for showing the actual menu bar/panel if it is auto-hidden? If I hit the windows key I get the search box and scrollable menu with the applications, but not the actual bar. I need the bar to quickly check the time without needing to use the mouse.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Shortcut for Auto-hide Panel

Post by Cosmo. »

There is no keyboard shortcut for it. You might try, if intelligent auto-hide serves you better.
Penn

Post by Penn »

Using the "Show Desktop" keyboard shortcut of <super_d> (super = windows key) combined with one of two other things can get what you what you need as a work around. If you do Cosmo's recommendation of intelligent hide that will bring the panel back up. Show desktop in this usage is a toggle so do it again and all windows are displayed again.

If the clock is the only thing on the panel you need in that situation you could try what I do. I don't have the clock on the panel, instead I have the clock desklet and just use "Show Desktop" when I want to see the time. If you want the date also don't use the clock desklet that comes with Cinnamon by default. Instead go to "Available desklets (online)" and get the time and date desklet.

One of the few things Cinnamon is missing in my opinion is full keyboard navigation of the panel. Having that would include what you actually asked for plus some more useful stuff.
ShadowMessiah

Post by ShadowMessiah »

Seems like the intelligent hide won't really work for me either. If I have more than one window in view at one time, it will pop the panel open and keep it open. (For example, firefox and atom with atom resized to be sitting over the firefox window). As such the panel will sit over the minimize, resize, and close buttons of any maximized program.

The desklet seems like the best alternative. Thanks.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Penn wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:51 pm One of the few things Cinnamon is missing in my opinion is full keyboard navigation of the panel.
Not only in the panel. E. g. navigating in the settings dialogue with only the keyboard is near to impossible. (Especially troublesome if the user has disabled his touchpad and has no external mouse to set it to on again.)

Return to “Cinnamon”