supposedly there's an extension that auto-hides the 'taskbar with the icons'?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fixingalaptop

supposedly there's an extension that auto-hides the 'taskbar with the icons'?

Post by fixingalaptop »

this is a side question, im checking on if there is an extension that can make the

* 'the bar thing at the bottom of the screen with the software icons' auto-hide

* and also, when you hover over the taskbar, it shows

is there an extension for this? i wanna see it

if you know the other 'DE' can do this, please let me know which ones they are, and which ones cannot
Last edited by fixingalaptop on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: supposedly there's an extension that auto-hides the 'taskbar with the icons'?

Post by Moem »

I think you mean the panel. Check the settings for the panel, there are auto-hide options already, no need for an extension.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
fixingalaptop

Re: supposedly there's an extension that auto-hides the 'taskbar with the icons'?

Post by fixingalaptop »

can someone please confirm (no need for screenshot) that

it has this: "* and also, when it hovered over, it shows"

the main post had not specify only 'auto-hide'

i cant use mint at the moment -- viewtopic.php?f=90&t=257222&p=1432349
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I confirm, that with auto-hide activated the panel does auto-hide, if the mouse is not hovering it and that the panel comes up, if the mouse touches the border of the screen.

I wonder, why you want this confirmation? Did you try this feature?
fixingalaptop

Post by fixingalaptop »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:01 am if the mouse is not hovering it and that the panel comes up, if the mouse touches the border of the screen.
sorry i think there's a sentence error here? i do not understand this part

the link i had linked above had answered the other concern

could you clarify if there was an error in that part/sentence?
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

It's called a taskbar.

:roll: :D
fixingalaptop

Post by fixingalaptop »

yea i know

but can someone be helpful and confirm if it can do thsoe two things i mentioned in teh main post?

thanks for helpful
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I don't understand why you don't just try it out. I can do that too, but it will take me the same amount of time, and you're the one who wants to know, so...

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
fixingalaptop

Post by fixingalaptop »

cos i already said in the comment above i couldnt --> "i cant use mint at the moment -- viewtopic.php?f=90&t=257222&p=1432349 "

i dont understand why someone won't help with this.....

it's just about if it can do two things mentioned in the main post at top....
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Sorry buddy i can't help as i'm currently on Ubuntu but that is what the setting looks like on mint , why it's called panel instead of taskbar i have no idea.
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shawnhcorey »

Lucap wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:41 am...why it's called panel instead of taskbar i have no idea.
Because it was called a panel in GNOME, the desktop before Cinnamon.
Don't stop where the ink does.
fixingalaptop

Post by fixingalaptop »

i understand it auto-hides...

but i just wanna know if you hover over it, will it show again?

that's all i wanna know....

it's just two things on the main post i asked about... for those use mint.. and one of the 'DE'
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

fixingalaptop wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:14 am but i just wanna know if you hover over it, will it show again?
Yes, of course that's how it works. Cosmo wrote as much a few posts above...and he knows his stuff.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

fixingalaptop wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:14 am but i just wanna know if you hover over it, will it show again?

that's all i wanna know....
Yes it does. I admit, that my wording in the post above was sub-optimal; sorry about that.

BTW: Also in Cinnamon this thing is called panel. Consequently the respective settings are called panel settings. Taskbar is a terminology from Windows, where the function to show the icons for the opened applications is fully integrated into the bar (following that it is hardly configurable). This function is in Cinnamon done by the window list applet, not by the panel itself. The panel is just a container for the applets, there are only a few functions in the panel itself, reachable by right clicking the panel on an empty place. This means, that it is not simply another word, but really a different thing.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:57 am Taskbar is a terminology from Windows.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taskbar
A taskbar is an element of a graphical user interface which has various purposes. It typically shows which programs are currently running.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IceWM
IceWM has an optional, built-in taskbar with menu
You'll have to contact wikipedia and everybody else on the internet that has called linux launch bar a taskbar since the 90's and correct them , just because the Gnome dev decides to call it a panel doesn't make any less a taskbar.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Lucap wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:16 am
A taskbar is an element of a graphical user interface which has various purposes. It typically shows which programs are currently running.
The Cinnamon panel itself does show nothing, not the currently running programs and nothing else. Only the applets show something. Remove them and the panel will be visually nothing than a bar at the edge.

In difference to the Windows taskbar, where you cannot (at least not without tweaks) remove the function to show those icons.

So there is more difference than the wording.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

It doesn't matter, it's function is to launch the menus and the tasks (and shows the tasks running) so it's a taskbar.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It's a panel, because to change the settings you need to open the panel settings. It's not helpful to tell people it's called a taskbar, because then they may look for the taskbar settings, and not find them. I see no good reason to confuse people when it's so easily avoided.

Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Lucap wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:40 am It doesn't matter, it's function is to launch the menus and the tasks (and shows the tasks running) so it's a taskbar.
No. It (= panel) is not even able to launch anything. It is a container, not more, not less. Add a second panel to the desktop and see yourself. Without having any applet added this is a bar without any function, except some commands from the right click menu. No launcher, no task list, not any other display, nothing, just emptiness.

But - it is a container, highly configurable by adding the applets of the user's choice.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

A Mouse starts as a Printed Circuit board , who calls it a circuit board?

If a Gnome Dev makes a decision to call an Mouse a Printed Circuit board for 20 years does it mean you're clicking a Printed Circuit board and it should be known as a Circuit board so not to confuse people ?

Once you add function to a empty panel that launches menus and tasks then it's a taskbar as it's been known for 20years for both Linux and Windows.

There is nothing confusing about it.

Return to “Cinnamon”