[FIXED, the problem was Nautilus] How to crash/mess up Nemo Desktop and your wallpaper in 2 steps

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

[FIXED, the problem was Nautilus] How to crash/mess up Nemo Desktop and your wallpaper in 2 steps

Post by Yfrwlf »

1. From a fresh login, and in particular having never opened a Nemo file browser window, have an image on your desktop and click on it to open it in Xviewer.

2. Right-click in the viewer then click on "Show Containing Folder".

Watch how your background turns black and the Nemo file browser window that opens when you do that shows as messed up in comparison to a normal browser window (the file, edit, view bar will be gone). You can also do this from Firefox if you right-click on show containing folder from a download.

However, if you load up a Nemo file browser before doing the above steps, everything will work just fine.

Fully-updated (Unstable? Whatever the Always Update Everything gets you) Mint 18.3 w/ Cinnamon 3.6.7 and on NVIDIA 390.25 drivers.

Opened bug on github: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/7293

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: The fix is to remove Nautilus as it conflicts with Nemo and when installed some programs can prefer Nautilus instead. Leaving the info below in case anyone else runs into this!

Code: Select all

apt remove nautilus nautilus-data
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [bug] How to crash/mess up Nemo Desktop and your wallpaper in 2 steps

Post by austin.texas »

I can't reproduce that problem on a fresh installation of Mint 18.3 w/ Cinnamon
Everything works as it should.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Try careating a new user, log off and log back in as the new user.
See if the problem exists with new user.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Yfrwlf »

all41 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:11 pm Try careating a new user, log off and log back in as the new user.
See if the problem exists with new user.
Thanks, mtwebster actually just fixed it for me though! The cause was Nautilus being installed, and certain programs such as Xviewer and Firefox preferring to open Nautilus instead of Nemo. Apparently this preference is temporary and gets switched when you load Nemo, but only in some cases or for a period of time. Very strange.

Anyway, I'm leaving this here in case anyone else runs into this. The fix is

Code: Select all

apt remove nautilus nautilus-data
Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Yfrwlf »

austin.texas wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:27 pm I can't reproduce that problem on a fresh installation of Mint 18.3 w/ Cinnamon
Everything works as it should.
I don't know how I got Nautilus accidentally installed at some point, but I did! X3

I assume the issue is applications hard-coded to open Nautilus instead of using a XDG/freedesktop standard? Or maybe there isn't a standard yet. That should definitely be rectified if so to prevent this in the future! Or maybe there is a standard, but that gnome settings or dconf setting keeps being bulldozed over by both Nemo and/or Nautilus for some reason?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: [FIXED, the problem was Nautilus] How to crash/mess up Nemo Desktop and your wallpaper in 2 steps

Post by Cosmo. »

Getting Nautilus silently installed can happen, if recommended packages get automatically selected to get installed. E. g. cheese is such a case.

What I cannot understand is, that Xviewer, an own Mint program, shall prefer Nautilus to Nemo; this would really be strange.
Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [FIXED, the problem was Nautilus] How to crash/mess up Nemo Desktop and your wallpaper in 2 steps

Post by Yfrwlf »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:35 pm Getting Nautilus silently installed can happen, if recommended packages get automatically selected to get installed. E. g. cheese is such a case.

What I cannot understand is, that Xviewer, an own Mint program, shall prefer Nautilus to Nemo; this would really be strange.
Well it is just the forked image viewer from Ubuntu, so either there are some settings in that which are causing it and need to be cleaned up, or the nautilus package is doing some reconfiguring of some settings when it gets installed. If the nautilus package is in the Ubuntu repos, the Mint devs can't really stop that from happening unless they provide their own nautilus package and mask Ubuntu's, if that's a thing apt can do.

Return to “Cinnamon”