[SOLVED] Guidance on using Desktop/Folders/Home etc.

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DeadRinger

[SOLVED] Guidance on using Desktop/Folders/Home etc.

Post by DeadRinger »

Hi.
18.3 Cinnamon 64 Bit.

I installed Dropbox. All seemed great. However, I am very new and I thought that I had made a shortcut (MS Windows term) to the Dropbox folder.
As it turned out I actually moved the entire contents of the Dropbox to this folder.

I freaked out later that day when on my other PC I noticed that EVERYTHING was gone from my Dropbox.
I ran back to the LINUX machine and found everything in the Dropbox on the Desktop, but there was "the real Dropbox" located under HOME which was empty.
I copied everything back to the Empty Dropbox and all is right in the world once again. WHEW!

So I am left to think I don't understand how to make a shortcut to folders on the desktop and perhaps other IMPORTANT differences on how Cinnamon works with folders and shortcuts and file structure under HOME etc.

Is there a user guide?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DeadRinger

Re: Guidance on using Desktop/Folders/Home etc.

Post by DeadRinger »

I learned that to create a "shortcut"

Open-File Manager to the folder or file you want a shortcut to... goto View (F3) Extra Pane.
Navigate the extra pane to the destination you want the SHORTCUT.
Select the icon on the Source View, CRTL+SHIFT then drag and drop into the Extra Pane view (Destination).

A shortcut will be created... works for files or folders...
Voila!
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Please go to your first post, click the EDIT (pencil) icon, and add [SOLVED] to the title.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
DeadRinger

Post by DeadRinger »

austin.texas wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:06 pm Please go to your first post, click the EDIT (pencil) icon, and add [SOLVED] to the title.
Thanks..

Return to “Cinnamon”