Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
svaens
Level 1
Level 1

How to dismiss notifications?

Post by svaens » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:34 am

Hi all,

I am disturbed by the apparent inability to dismiss notifications that appear in the top right hand corner of the screen.

The notifications themselves are fine. I want to see them. And the location is, generally, fine.
However, sometimes I may not be interested in the notification.... I may just be trying to get to the most right side tabs of my browser.
With the notification there for a good 5 seconds or so, I am unable to click my browser tabs (or whatever else happens to be in the right hand corner of my screen).

If I hover over the place where i'd like to click (over the notification) the notification becomes more transparent.... but clicking upon it results in bringing up the related (to notification) window.
That is not what I wanted.

There is no 'x' button in the corner of the notification bubble/window. How is one supposed to dismiss these, as they come, and get to the business one was at .... without having to wait for the notification to time out?

thanks for your help

sean

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to dismiss notifications?

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:47 am

The solution is simple:
Right click the panel on an empty place and select to add an applet. Select in the applet list the inhibit applet and add it. This applet offers a menu (left click it), the first one disables temporarily the power management, the second one disables the display of the notifications. They get now collected in another applet (which is already added to the panel by default), where you can read them afterwards.

svaens
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to dismiss notifications?

Post by svaens » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:55 am

Hi, and thanks for this solution.
It is a nice shortcut.

Interestingly, after I'd wrote this post, in clicking before mentioned notifications, .... they were disappearing instead of bringing up their associated app. hmmm.. I'm still trying to figure out why and when.
But in any case, I will use the applet.

Thanks

sean

Return to “Cinnamon”