xscreensaver/cinnamon-screensaver won't run when screen is locked

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
okasion

xscreensaver/cinnamon-screensaver won't run when screen is locked

Post by okasion »

This happened since one of the latest updates, I cannot say which one because I am not sure.

I would lock the screen as usual (Ctrl+Alt+L) before going to bed (for example), and wake up and see the screen still locked with the dark background with no screensaver running
What I tried to do: I found out that xscreensaver wasn't even installed, as a long Linux user, I assumed all distributions used this daemon to run the screensaver, I found very odd that it wasn't installed since I had the Cinnamon screensaver options, but anyway, I did install it and configured it without problems.
Again, I would lock the screen, and no screensaver would run whatsoever. I found out that both screensaver daemons were running too:

Code: Select all

$ ps ax | grep screen
 1268 ?        S      0:04 xscreensaver -nosplash
 1763 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cinnamon-settings-daemon/csd-screensaver-proxy
 2040 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep --color=auto screen
 2077 ?        Sl     2:54 cinnamon-screensaver
25839 ?        S      0:00 xscreensaver-demo
anyway, none could "breach" the mighty locked screen. I proceeded to uninstall xscreensaver, so only the Cinnamon one would run, I got:

Code: Select all

$ ps ax | grep screen
 1763 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cinnamon-settings-daemon/csd-screensaver-proxy
 2077 ?        Sl     2:54 cinnamon-screensaver
 3296 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep --color=auto screen
I tried not to change too much options in the Cinnamon screensaver window; I also noticed I had an uptime of 4 days, so I rebooted my computer, then locked the desktop again, and waited... but the screensaver never launched.
I do not know what else to do, can someone help me or guide me where to look? thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
okasion

Re: xscreensaver/cinnamon-screensaver won't run when screen is locked

Post by okasion »

screensvrset.png
okasion

Post by okasion »

I fixed it myself. I don't know exactly what it was, but I uninstalled xscreensaver, then rebooted my computer which had an uptime of 4 days+, later updated everything except critical packages like the kernel, mesa drivers, etc; then made absolutely sure that the Cinnamon-screensaver, would be running.
Now the screensaver launched properly (or at least what I cared to see, the monitor going to sleep/suspend), but when I would come back, the resolution of the desktop would be wrong; I remembered that I changed an option in Power Management just some days ago about stating the power button to shutdown the computer immediately instead of.. I think it was on Ask by default, and by default it wasn't doing anything at all, SO, I changed it to Suspend. I don't think why I thought about changing this option, probably because it was something that I have probably changed once in my life- so I remembered it, and I suspected that it was faulty, Linux or Mint, but it was faulty.

Now when I lock the screen, the screensaver later takes on, and later it suspends the machine, along with the monitor obviously. When I come back, everything is it was before I locked the computer.

Posting the solution in case some Ubuntu/Mint guy has a similar problem.
okasion

Post by okasion »

You guys seem to not care about this.

Anyway, I still had the same problem with the resolution being wrong when unlocking the screen, I don't mind using always energy(electricity), I DO MIND my monitor losing years of life, so in the end, this is the last setup

Return to “Cinnamon”