Select and Scroll down in Cinnamon + Chrome / Chromium

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rst007

Select and Scroll down in Cinnamon + Chrome / Chromium

Post by rst007 »

Hi all,

I been a happy Linux Mint user for a few years now, always preffered cinnamon because i like the flexibility and the Windows (Windhose) like shorcuts.

When i use Chrome or Chromium with stock settings on cinnamon i have problems with selecting and drag down the page. the selection stops almost directly instead of going trough to the bottom of the page.
Problem is on multiple systems (have it on my laptop and also on my desktop, also tried it on an ubuntu minimal distro with cinnamon on it, same issue.

However when i use firefox or another Desktop enviroment, there is no issue, for example XFCE / Budgie will work perfectly fine in combo with Chrome.

For work i need to use allot of custom built plugins that only work on Chrome / Chromium, so i prefer to have Cinnamon working and selecting like it should on Chrome.

Is there anybody that knows how to help me find the cause of this issue? I already searched the web for a solution the last few weeks without any result.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Select and Scroll down in Cinnamon + Chrome / Chromium

Post by smurphos »

Starting at the bottom of the selection and dragging up works for me.

Or starting at the top and using the down arrow rather than mouse to scroll down.

I'm now intrigued as to why it does this having mindlessly applied these workarounds for a while.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
rst007

Post by rst007 »

yes indeed,

I have exactly the same issue.
However with another D. E. i dont have this issue (xfce4 or budgie or something) so i believe this is an Cinnamon issue? It used to work perfectly fine on older versions i think 😀

It would be noce to have a fix for this, as i do like my cinnemon desktop :)
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I think i just assumed it was a Chrome issue - but I've checked on XFCE Chromium and my ChromeOS machine and no problem there. Will need some investigating to get enough info to submit a bug report.

First clue - it's not a problem running Chrome windowed rather than maximised - as long as Chrome is set to use the system title-bar and border in Chrome Settings.
Second clue - it's not a problem with Chrome maximised and no bottom panel.
Last edited by smurphos on Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Can you report the output of inxi Fxz - interested on what your graphics hardware and driver is.

Here's mine

Code: Select all

System:    Host: steve-HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC Kernel: 4.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard (portable) product: HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC v: 0690120000204710000620100
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 166F v: 09.4C Bios: Insyde v: F.66 date: 01/24/2013
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-2430M (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9578
           clock speeds: max: 3000 MHz 1: 2394 MHz 2: 2394 MHz 3: 2394 MHz 4: 2394 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.03hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-37-generic
Network:   Card-1: Ralink RT5390 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe
           driver: rt2800pci v: 2.3.0 bus-ID: 01:00.0
           IF: wlp1s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 3000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: eno1 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1750.4GB (49.2% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST9750423AS size: 750.2GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Expansion size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 682G used: 130G (21%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 6.39GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 57.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 266 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 3061.3/5908.3MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0 Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Another clue and unsatisfactory workaround - it works fine running the Chrome window full screened (F11)
rst007

Post by rst007 »

My output of inxi Fxz

CPU~Quad core Intel Core i7-7700HQ (-HT-MCP-) speed/max~2800/3800 MHz Kernel~4.13.0-37-generic x86_64 Up~6:01 Mem~3059.5/15926.2MB HDD~250.1GB(32.1% used) Procs~345 Client~Shell inxi~2.2.35

this Laptop has intel 7700hq with onboard intel gpu for Linux (there is also an nvidia gtx1060 onboard but i disabled it in grub)
However my HP elitebook 2570p with intel hd4000 has the same problem, also my desktop has a dedicated ATI rx480, same problem.

Also did some tests on my Elitebook with ubuntu minimal installation, same issue after installing stock cinnamon. So i don't think it's hardware related.
rst007

Post by rst007 »

smurphos wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:14 am I think i just assumed it was a Chrome issue - but I've checked on XFCE Chromium and my ChromeOS machine and no problem there. Will need some investigating to get enough info to submit a bug report.

First clue - it's not a problem running Chrome windowed rather than maximised - as long as Chrome is set to use the system title-bar and border in Chrome Settings.
Second clue - it's not a problem with Chrome maximised and no bottom panel.
Also True, i have a dock on the bottom, taskbar on top (used the be a mac user) so i tested with the dock on the right, everything work perfectly then.

It seems like Chrome doesnt seems to notice the bottom of the page or something...

edit: tested it in gnome3 works perfectly stock, when i add a dock on the bottom of the page, the issue is back, so i believe its rather a Chrome/Chromium problem then a desktop environment.
Going to test tomorrow on XFCE4 with a dock. I'll keep you posted.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Besides Cinnamon 18.3 with Chrome, I see this behavior on my PC with Xfce 18.3 with Chrome. Firefox works fine on both. An alternative method to select the page(s) content is to click just above the line you want to begin the selection. Then press and hold the left Shift key. Use the scroll bar to go down to the last line you’re trying to select. Click at that spot again. This will select all the lines between the two mouse clicks.

I use this method frequently in some apps such as LibreOffice where I’m trying to select a section of many lines that can span more than one page, but they start scrolling by too fast when using just the mouse, so I go past the end point of the selection.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I always forget that shortcut for highlighting.

Looking more and more like a Chrome issue. it's prompted me to rearrange my panel arrangement - now with a top panel for menu, applets and window list and an intelligently hidden left panel with panel-launchers.

Return to “Cinnamon”