[SOLVED] Nemo replaced by Nautilus leads to no boot

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
krustybaguette
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Nemo replaced by Nautilus leads to no boot

Post by krustybaguette »

SOLVED My system was running LM19 Oops :roll: with Cinnamon desktop but now I cannot boot into it. I am running an old LM10 Live CD to post this query. Here's the sequence of events. Is there anything I can do under this Live CD/DVD other than post this question looking for help?

Nemo has been jumbling up all the folders in my /home. Also showing "Home" three times in the left pane off Nemo. Changing view to alphabetical and A-Z order seems to work until the next time I open Files.

I installed Nautilus from the software manager and uninstalled Nemo.
I believe the uninstall also removed Cinnamon, or at least its integration with File Manager.
When I rebooted There was an error message about 'last session was less than 10 seconds....." This was not so but attempting to boot into my LM19 install under "advanced" options I tried "repair installations" and another one or two, but I'm stuck.
Is is possible I might need to reinstall LM19 (or perhaps LM18) from a new Live DVD or USB drive? My /home is pretty safe as it's on a separate hard disk which is removable in a drive adapter. The computer is a Lenovo Thinkpad T520 with LM19 on an SSD and a 1TB drive dedicated to /home. If I reinstall and wipe the existing installation off the SSD will I be OK?

Getting back to the root of this problem: Is Nemo the default file manager with LM19/Cinnamon?
Is the jumbling of folders a known issue?
Would I be better of trying either Nautilus or some other file manager in a clean reinstallation?
Or would switching to a different desktop such as MATE be advisable?

I'll be checking into see who has answers to my dilemna on my phone or tablet.

krustybaguette
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Nemo replaced by Nautilus leads to no boot

Post by Moem »

krustybaguette wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:53 am My system was running LM19 with Cinnamon desktop
I doubt that. Unless you're posting from the future.

If I were you, I'd reinstall whatever version you had, leaving /home intact. You'll need to reinstall software, but all your settings will be there and you should be up and running again in no time. Then ask here about the issues you have with Nemo, if they persist.

Nemo is the default file manager for Cinnamon and it's well integrated with it. For that reason, you cannot replace it with another desktop environment's file manager without running into trouble... as you probably know by now.

Good luck!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Nautilus is known to cause weird issues with Cinnamon, I too made the mistake of installing it when I started out with Mint.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

krustybaguette wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:53 am Is the jumbling of folders a known issue?
No. If you have reinstalled your system, but kept your home, the problem might possibly reappear. In this case a fresh new user account for testing might help to investigate into the issue.
krustybaguette
Level 3
Level 3

Post by krustybaguette »

BG405 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:30 pm Nautilus is known to cause weird issues with Cinnamon, I too made the mistake of installing it when I started out with Mint.
The jumbling problem was with NEMO. I tried installing Nautilus to see if it would behave better. I'm not sure what happened but here I am
reinstalling LM18.3. Right now I'm running the 32 bit version but I just came back from picking up a cheapo flash drive for the 64bit install.

Cosmo, You are absolutely right about the version, I was thinking that the first "rolling" upgrade was to 19, but it was from 17.# to 18.
krustybaguette
Level 3
Level 3

Post by krustybaguette »

Cosmo. wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:55 pm
krustybaguette wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:53 am Is the jumbling of folders a known issue?
No. If you have reinstalled your system, but kept your home, the problem might possibly reappear. In this case a fresh new user account for testing might help to investigate into the issue.
I've downloaded the MATE 18.3 iso and it's probably finished burning onto the flash drive. Do I need to be aware of any major issues with a non-Cinnamon version of LM?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

krustybaguette wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:44 pm I'm not sure what happened but here I am reinstalling LM18.3.
What happened is that you tried to replace the standard file manager that came with your DE. That caused stuff to break.
krustybaguette wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:46 pm I've downloaded the MATE 18.3 iso and it's probably finished burning onto the flash drive. Do I need to be aware of any major issues with a non-Cinnamon version of LM?
Some strange things might happen because you are going from Cinnamon to Mate while retaining your /home (if you're doing that). Not all of your settings will be appliccable on a different DE.
Going from 32-bits to 64-bits while retaining your /home went surprisingly well for me; no guarantees though.

Whatever you do, don't try to replace the standard file manager with your DE.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Moem wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:26 pm Whatever you do, don't try to replace the standard file manager that comes with your DE.
That's absolutely right. What's more, you shouldn't even install a second full-blown file manager next to your default one:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... le-manager
(item 5.1, left column)

It's a typical beginners' mistake to do this. Don't repeat that mistake in your next clean installation of Mint....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
krustybaguette
Level 3
Level 3

Post by krustybaguette »

Moem wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:26 pm
krustybaguette wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:44 pm I'm not sure what happened but here I am reinstalling LM18.3.
What happened is that you tried to replace the standard file manager that came with your DE. That caused stuff to break.
krustybaguette wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:46 pm I've downloaded the MATE 18.3 iso and it's probably finished burning onto the flash drive. Do I need to be aware of any major issues with a non-Cinnamon version of LM?
Some strange things might happen because you are going from Cinnamon to Mate while retaining your /home (if you're doing that). Not all of your settings will be appliccable on a different DE.
Going from 32-bits to 64-bits while retaining your /home went surprisingly well for me; no guarantees though.

Whatever you do, don't try to replace the standard file manager with your DE.
So far itś been worth any trouble encountered. I had a little trouble getting WINE running but that´s taken care of now. Lesson learned...no mixing file managers as they become file manglers.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

I often run Nemo and Nautilus under the same Cinnamon install and have never seen the problem you mentioned. Nautilus can cause issues with things like background handling so unless you know how to fix it, you probably shouldn''t. Not sure if you tried but you cannot remove Nemo from Cinnamon.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

JosephM wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:05 am Not sure if you tried but you cannot remove Nemo from Cinnamon.
Ayup:
I installed Nautilus from the software manager and uninstalled Nemo.
I believe the uninstall also removed Cinnamon, or at least its integration with File Manager.

Return to “Cinnamon”