Notifications Stopped - Vivaldi Browser - Solved

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Drew

Notifications Stopped - Vivaldi Browser - Solved

Post by Drew »

Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 3.6.7

Yesterday Notifications were working fine. Popup window with sound. Today neither. In the meantime, I had added a new .ogg sound file in Home>Sound Files and selected it in System Settings. I also downloaded recommended updates yesterday and today. I checked System Settings and Notifications are enabled.

What happened? How to turn back on? Thanks for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Notifications Stopped

Post by Cosmo. »

What happens, if you click in the notifications settings the button to create a test message?
Drew

Post by Drew »

I get a popup window with sound.

I should have added originally that I"m using Vivaldi browser, but that shouldn't be the problem because I was using it yesterday also when notifications were working fine.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Drew wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:53 pm I get a popup window with sound.
What - except notifications from your browser - does not appear? (E. g. notifications, if you attach or remove a drive or if you disable / enable the network.)
Drew

Post by Drew »

Disconnected internet and got a popup with sound.
Inserted a USB stick and got a popup (different one) with sound.

It's incoming emails that have no notification today. Yesterday I was getting a popup with sound and including a photo from my contacts in Zoho mail.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Just checked and desktop notifications is enabled in zoho.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The title of your thread made me believe, that the notification system would have stopped working for you completely, but this is obviously not the case.
The problem seems to be Vivaldi, where I cannot give any help.

As this is obviously not a Cinnamon issue, you should add the name of the browser to the title and ask a moderator, to move the thread to the software board. This increases the chance, that a Vivaldi user reads it.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Many thanks. Will do.
Drew

Re: Notifications Stopped - Vivaldi Browser - Solved

Post by Drew »

I was just about to do that and then go post in the Vivaldi forums when the email notifications started working again. I didn't do anything to effect that. The gremlins smiled I guess.

Return to “Cinnamon”