Screen Tearing with laptop

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pacho21

Screen Tearing with laptop

Post by pacho21 »

I'm using Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon and I installed (and updated) nvidia drivers, however I still have this tearing on the screen. Basicly I use the laptop for webnavigation and work (coding etc..) The problem is that I get screen tearing when i'm scrolling a webpage down. I followed a few tips and solutions from the internet but I can't quiet get it done and still have the problem.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

System:    Host: lgn Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.6 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: LENOVO (portable) product: 80WK v: Lenovo Y520-15IKBN
           Mobo: LENOVO model: Provence-5R1 v: NO DPK
           Bios: LENOVO v: 4KCN24WW date: 02/17/2017
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-7700HQ (-HT-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 22464
           clock speeds: max: 3800 MHz 1: 1299 MHz 2: 1276 MHz 3: 941 MHz
           4: 1044 MHz 5: 1074 MHz 6: 1099 MHz 7: 955 MHz 8: 1026 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Device 591b bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA Device 1c8c bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: nvidia
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.05hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
           GLX Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.48 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel Device a171 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-38-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 Plus Bluetooth
           driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 3000 bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: enp4s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (1.9% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000LM035 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 909G used: 11G (2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.46GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:48C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 249 Uptime: 31 min Memory: 3259.6/7855.7MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
At the moment I have quiet clean install. Btw just if this helps, I'm using Mozilla. I also get some screen tearing while watching video clips / streams. I tryed this solution : viewtopic.php?f=208&t=229102 but I didn't have any improvements.
Thank you in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Screen Tearing with laptop

Post by Termy »

Hi. Have you tried compton yet? Linux Mint makes it really easy to switch these things around, so I assume it's the same with Cinnamon. I absolutely never have screen tearing issues when using compton; I use this configuration:

https://github.com/terminalforlife/misc ... mpton.conf

I'm also on nVidia, albeit not a laptop. You'll lose some fancypants special effects, as compton isn't about that, it's about a pleasant, tear-free experience, with subtle effects like fade, blur, and transparency. If you want to try out my configuration file, use this:

CCF="$HOME/.config/compton.conf"; [ -f "$CCF" ] && mv "$CCF"{,.bak}; wget -cq github.com/terminalforlife/miscellaneous/raw/master/compton.conf -O "$CCF"
Then reload compton to see the changes. If it doesn't work well for you (I would be very surprised) it's easy enough to tweak, but you'll probably want to refer to the man compton.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
pacho21

Post by pacho21 »

Termy wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:36 pm Hi. Have you tried compton yet? Linux Mint makes it really easy to switch these things around, so I assume it's the same with Cinnamon. I absolutely never have screen tearing issues when using compton; I use this configuration:

https://github.com/terminalforlife/misc ... mpton.conf

I'm also on nVidia, albeit not a laptop. You'll lose some fancypants special effects, as compton isn't about that, it's about a pleasant, tear-free experience, with subtle effects like fade, blur, and transparency. If you want to try out my configuration file, use this:

CCF="$HOME/.config/compton.conf"; [ -f "$CCF" ] && mv "$CCF"{,.bak}; wget -cq github.com/terminalforlife/miscellaneous/raw/master/compton.conf -O "$CCF"
Then reload compton to see the changes. If it doesn't work well for you (I would be very surprised) it's easy enough to tweak, but you'll probably want to refer to the man compton.
I have never used compton, and I installed it, however I can't find where exactly to "enable" or swtich to compton, I loaded your config and tryed running compton in the terminal and i get this :

vsync_opengl_mswc_init(): Failed to get MESA_swap_control function.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

That advice is not good for Cinnamon. The problem is with the version of x.org server used in Mint 18. It is possible to update it but I haven't researched how. Personally I'm just waiting for Mint 19 which will presumably ship with a newer version.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

I'm not sure why you're getting that error, OP, but you could edit the configuration file and try a different OpenGL thing; there are many options.

@MintBean: Why is it not good advice for Cinnamon? As I understand it (and from experience), compton is DE-agnostic. Genuinely wondering. I've used compton in Mint without issue, and I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the Xorg version, since, ... well, I'm not the only person who has had a tear-free experience because of compton, in Mint. I'm likely using the same Xorg version over in Ubuntu and still have a tear-free experience. What am I missing?
Last edited by Termy on Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pacho21

Post by pacho21 »

MintBean wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:40 pm That advice is not good for Cinnamon. The problem is with the version of x.org server used in Mint 18. It is possible to update it but I haven't researched how. Personally I'm just waiting for Mint 19 which will presumably ship with a newer version.
What if I switch to other version ? or can I switch this one without reinstalling linux ?
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

I don't think Compton works with Cinnamon from what I've heard. If you've actually tried it with success then fair enough, otherwise I would not recommend it.

Is your Ubuntu 16.04? Screen tearing with x.org 1.19 is a known issue as I said. Manjaro put an end to screen tearing on Nvidia about a year ago (confirmed it for myself) and the conclusion was that it was the bump in x.org that fixed it. This is probably why this is in the Mint roadmap:
Linux Mint 18.3

Release
rel_notes
Add instructions to upgrade to HWE Xorg 1.19
Although last time I checked they hadn't followed through on it.

OP, if by 'other version' you mean Linux Mint MATE, a reinstall is recommended. If you mean updating x.org, no reinstall is required but I can't give you any instructions on how to do it as I haven't tried.
pacho21

Post by pacho21 »

X.Org X Server 1.18.4
Release Date: 2016-07-19
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 4.4.0-97-generic x86_64 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux lgn 4.10.0-38-generic #42~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 10 16:32:20 UTC 2017 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.10.0-38-generic root=UUID=12576297-439f-4677-b2f1-aa6e5ebf08dd ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
Build Date: 13 October 2017  01:57:05PM
xorg-server 2:1.18.4-0ubuntu0.7 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support) 
Current version of pixman: 0.33.6
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
	to make sure that you have the latest version.
Well i guess i have to try to upgrade xServer and then check again if this solves the problem.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

My mistake, I guess. I thought I had it working in Cinnamon, but I must have been thinking of something else. I'm not sure why the Mint team decided to make Cinnamon like that, but oh well; done now. Looks like muffin is the compositing manager as well, so I suppose if you wanted to use compton in Cinnamon, you'd likely need to either find a way to disable muffin's built-in compositing, or remove muffin and use a different window manager, the latter option of which is not ideal. :roll: Not sure why Cinnamon made this so difficult. A simple --disable-compositing option for muffin is all that's needed, but nope, no such thing. Maybe there's something in a configuration file, of which the muffin manual has no mention. :| It does, however, say:

Advanced configuration can be achieved directly through gsettings.
...so maybe that's something, but not exactly user-friendly.
pacho21

Post by pacho21 »

My question here is, what if I install Gnome or Kde ? Can I then try to install Compton and see if that fixes my tearing or not ?
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

pacho21 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:45 pm My question here is, what if I install Gnome or Kde ? Can I then try to install Compton and see if that fixes my tearing or not ?
After a little tweaking, I've personally found KDE to also give me a tear-free experience. It's one of my favorite memories of using KDE. I don't think compton would be a good choice for KDE for the same reason as Cinnamon. Not sure about GNOME; been a while since I've used and/or customized it.

Return to “Cinnamon”