Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
galactichitchhiker
Level 1
Level 1

HiDpi - Some programs not scaling properly

Post by galactichitchhiker » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:44 am

Hi,

Just did a fresh install of Cinnamon Sylvia and some apps aren't scaling adequately on my 4K screen. The system scales the desktop correctly, as well as most apps (Nemo, LibreOffice, Archive Manager, Thunderbird, etc.) out of the box, but in some applications (VLC, SMplayer, etc), icons and text are tiny:

http://i67.tinypic.com/1zv4gpf.png

I've played with scaling in general settings, as well as with font scaling factor, but these don't appear to affect the ones that aren't scaling properly. What could it be?

This glitch was present both before and after installing system updates, and before and after updating the kernel.

What REALLY has me puzzled is that I re-installed Cinnamon Sonya, which is what I was using before with 0 issues of this type, and I'm having the same problem there too. There have been no changes in hardware to the system...

HELP, PLEASE! Mint community, I need you!

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Re: HiDpi - Some programs not scaling properly

Post by smurphos » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:22 am

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=226322&p=1391148#p1391148

The problem apps are probably those still built with the very old GTK2 or QT apps that use the GTK2 theme.

There isn't really a solution other than using a GTK2 theme that has been deliberately scaled up. If you want to try one out then please take a look at one of the Cinnamox themes - e.g. https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/t ... shmir-Blue. They can be downloaded via the Themes module in Cinammon settings and include a regular GTK2 theme and a scaled up GTK2 theme along with a little script to toggle between the two.

Feedback on how effective it is would be welcome - It's hard for me to test properly on my little 1366 x 768 display... :)

There is an update to the themes uploaded earlier today and waiting for approval by the Spices theme. I have reworked the HIDPI version in that update but am concerned that I might have made it less effective.....

galactichitchhiker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by galactichitchhiker » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:15 am

Thanks, will try it out immediately! :D

I sort of had a hunch that it had to do with GTK2 vs GTK3 apps...but what had, and still has me puzzled is why GTK2 apps scale perfectly in a live session...

galactichitchhiker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by galactichitchhiker » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:45 am

As per the instructions to apply it to GTK2 themes:
smurphos wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:22 am
If you need HIDPI Support in GTK2 the theme includes a HIDPI version of the gtkrc theme file and a helper script to toggle between the regular and HIDPI version.

To run the script open a terminal window (Ctrl-Alt-T) and use the following command to make the script executable and launch it.

Code: Select all

chmod +x ~/.themes/Cinnamox-Kashmir-Blue/gtk-2.0/cinnamox_toggle_GTK2_HIDPI.sh && ~/.themes/Cinnamox-Kashmir-Blue/gtk-2.0/cinnamox_toggle_GTK2_HIDPI.sh
After the first run you can toggle between the two using ~/.themes/Cinnamox-Kashmir-Blue/gtk-2.0/cinnamox_toggle_GTK2_HIDPI.sh
I get the following output:

Code: Select all

chmod +x ~/.themes/Cinnamox-Kashmir-Blue/gtk-2.0/cinnamox_toggle_GTK2_HIDPI.sh && ~/.themes/Cinnamox-Kashmir-Blue/gtk-2.0/cinnamox_toggle_GTK2_HIDPI.sh
Something is wrong. Cannot find /home/myusername/gtkrc

Press enter to exit the script.

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Post by smurphos » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:32 am

Doh - first fail. - Edit - the new versions awaiting approval have had this bug fixed. Thank-you!

For now you'll need to do it the manual way - enter these commands in order in a terminal window.

cd ~/.themes/Cinnamox-Kashmir-Blue/gtk-2.0
cp gtkrc gtkrc.nohidpi
cp -f gtkrc.hidpi gtkrc
gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.interface gtk-theme "Mint-Y"
gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.interface gtk-theme "Cinnamox-Kashmir-Blue"

Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:57 am

I am having similar problems on a full HD display (13" physical dimensions): how about Java and Wine programs? I'm not sure how to increase the character size in those.

R

Return to “Cinnamon”