Cinnamon is crashing

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

Cinnamon is crashing

Post by urdrwho »

[solved]
Not sure what went wrong. I was going to try out Mate by booting from a USB but there was an error. Ok, so I'll try later, let me boot back into Cinnamon Rosa. Oops --- no go -- Cinnamon keeps crashing and goes into fall back mode. This has been running fine for a long time.

I can use the system in fall back but it would be nice to have Cinnamon running. It tries to start but crashes

I have home on its own partition.

If there are no ideas about how to re-start Cinnamon then what is the protocol to re-install without destroying my home partition. Is there a repair on the disc?
Last edited by urdrwho on Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Cinnamon is crashing - solved re-install

Post by urdrwho »

Tried to find out why but in the end, it was easier to just re-install. While out it I installed Mate 16.04 .... not a fan. Back to Mint 17.01.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Cinnamon is crashing

Post by AZgl1800 »

urdrwho wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:59 pm [solved]
Not sure what went wrong. I was going to try out Mate by booting from a USB but there was an error. Ok, so I'll try later, let me boot back into Cinnamon Rosa. Oops --- no go -- Cinnamon keeps crashing and goes into fall back mode. This has been running fine for a long time.

I can use the system in fall back but it would be nice to have Cinnamon running. It tries to start but crashes

If there are no ideas about how to re-start Cinnamon then what is the protocol to re-install without destroying my home partition. Is there a repair on the disc?

do this:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

Post by urdrwho »

Thanks, I'll remember that for next time. A fresh re-install was probably needed because I forced an install of Opera 52, which I believe added some things that were not to be part of Mint 17.3.
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

Post by urdrwho »

Must have been an update that did something because now the old house - everyone can use -- computer that sits on the kitchen counter crashed. Cinnamon had to start in fall back mode. I'll give the re-install a try on that one. I've copied home to a safe place.
AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:29 pm
urdrwho wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:59 pm [solved]

do this:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

Post by urdrwho »

Sadly that did not fix the problem with the kitchen computer. I guess I need to re-install the OS. A bit o a hassle because it is a slim desktop, no Ethernet connection, runs on WiFi and I must bring it into this room to modprobe the B43 driver.
vinayak_420
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vinayak_420 »

What exactly will this command do (apt reinstall cinnamon), because i my system crashes sometimes when booting up(1 in 5 times), i dont want to lose my files and want cinnamon to reset its settings.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

@vinayak_420 - Please read  How to get help paying special attention to item #5, then start a new thread. This one is 3 years old.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.

Return to “Cinnamon”