[SOLVED] Taskbar's (system tray applet) left-click behavior gone after 17.3 -> 18.3 upgrade (one-click opening of apps)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikser
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Taskbar's (system tray applet) left-click behavior gone after 17.3 -> 18.3 upgrade (one-click opening of apps)

Post by mikser »

I upgraded my Linux Mint Cinnamon from 17.3 to 18.3. A very useful functionality related to taskbar (system tray applet) behavior is gone. How can I return it?

What I want:
- right clicking on an icon in the taskbar, opens application's menu
- left clicking on an icon in the taskbar, opens the application itself

How it works currently:
- right clicking on an icon in the taskbar, opens applet menu (only two options: (1) "About..." - info about the applet itself; (2) "Remove 'System Tray' ")
- left clicking on an icon in the taskbar, open the application menu. In order to open the application itself, instead of one simple left click, I need to complete three actions: (1) left-click on the icon; (2) move my mouse cursor to appropriate menu option (usually the farthest one); (3) left click again.

I remember that I have had the same exact problem at some point on the old version of Linux Mint Cinnamon (don't remember with which version of Mint Cinnamon: 17.0, 17.1, 17.2 or 17.3), but was somehow able to fix it. I don't remember at all how I did it. I certainly am not able to repeat the feat and fix the problem now.

I went through all the options (system, applet, whatever) and couldn't find anything appropriate. I spent many hours trying to google the solution, but to no avail.

Writing this post and asking for help is the only option I have. Please help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Taskbar's (system tray applet) left-click behavior gone after 17.3 -> 18.3 upgrade (one-click opening of application

Post by Cosmo. »

Open the general settings for the system and disable support for indicators. Log out the account and back in to make it effective.
mikser
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Taskbar's (system tray applet) left-click behavior gone after 17.3 -> 18.3 upgrade (one-click opening of application

Post by mikser »

That was exactly the solution! Thank you so much!!!

Return to “Cinnamon”