Can't get an image preview at file manager

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Can't get an image preview at file manager

Post by AZgl1800 »

Kept playing with Dolphin,

if I double click on an image, it opens up xnview and then the mouse will roll thru images and preview them in the bottom center of the page.

Was cleaning up some junk stuff off the laptop, and did a restart and looked at Dolphin again and it seems to be working now like you told me Phil.

While I was at it, I created a shortcut key Alt-D and gave it the command to bring up Dolphin... I like that, SuperMenu-E brings up Nemo, so I have a matching set depending on what needs to be done.

Thank you Phil for hanging in there until my brains got reorganized. :D

here is one of the images that I had lost in the big file of pictures.... it is the cockpit of my new "aeroplane" :lol:
I used to own a Piper Tri-Pacer PA-22, I upgraded it with McAllen Gullwing Tips, and a 160 hp brand new engine.... could land that thing and stop in 160 feet, and take off and clear the barbed wire fence at the end of my "runway" at 350 feet. At that time, I lived on a large 96 square mile cattle ranch.

so, this is my current "cockpit" of my 2 wheeled airplane....

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi AZgl1500,

You are welcome...

I'm glad you got the Dolphin file manager working. I consider it one of the best file managers available.

You can choose which installed application(s) will open certain file types when they are double-clicked by right-clicking a file (like image.jpg, or image.png, music.mp3, etc..) selecting properties, click the file type options button which pops-up another window with related installed applications that you can select your preference order, the first is the default, and the others should show up when right-clicking a file; you can also add apps that are not in the list.

As I stated before, the panels are resizable, mouse over between them until you see a double arrow, click and hold the mouse and drag it left or right.

Hope this helps ...
Dolphin_FileManager_Default_App2.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
JeffF73
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JeffF73 »

phd21 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:48 pm Hi helmar,

You are welcome... from all of us that replied...

There are many really good image browsers with previews like "pix", "XnViewMP", etc...

I was able to install "Dolphin" into Cinnamon, and have previews which had to be enabled, click Settings, Configure Dolphin, General Tab, Preview Tab, check all that you want, click Apply and OK. The preview "panel" on the right is called an "Information Panel" (F11). There is also a "slider" for changing the size of icon previews.

To install this open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

Linux Mint 18.x

Code: Select all

sudo apt install dolphin dolphin-plugins kde-runtime kio-extras ffmpegthumbs mplayerthumbs kffmpegthumbnailer kdesdk-thumbnailers kdegraphics-thumbnailers
Linux Mint 19.x

sudo apt install dolphin dolphin-plugins kde-runtime kio-extras ffmpegthumbs kffmpegthumbnailer kdesdk-thumbnailers kdegraphics-thumbnailers

Restart your computer after installing these. You will have to restart Dolphin after making changes, Click View in toolbar and Preview, go into Settings - Configure Dolphin - Click General (left side) - check show tool tips - click Previews tab - check all, Apply, Ok.

I can understand not wanting to install somethings from other distributions, but there are some superb KDE applications that work well in all editions of Linux Mint.

Hope this helps ...

Dolphin_in_Cinnamon.jpg

Dolphin_in_Cinnamon2.jpg
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to give Thanks
@phd21 Thank you for these instructions they work perfectly in Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon. Exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi JeffF73,

You are welcome...

Phil
phd21
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
helmar

Post by helmar »

You have risen a two-year-old thread :D :D

I'm running Mint 20 and I've tried this Dolphin File Manager and I get this:

Package 'kde-runtime' has no installation candidate
E: Unable to locate package kffmpegthumbnailer
Is it because is not available for Ulyana?

Return to “Cinnamon”