Can't get an image preview at file manager

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
helmar

Can't get an image preview at file manager

Post by helmar »

I have searched for this here but I didn't find exactly what is happening here.

My laptop is a LeNovo G40-70 Core i5 12GB RAM running Sarah, Cinnamon 3.0.7, Kernel 4.4.0-119 and I really love Linux Mint.
Though I'm not a newbie, I'm not an IT person so forgive me if my problem is quite ridiculous to you.

When I'm in the File Manager, in my Pictures folder I'd like to see a preview of the image once I click on it. I think this may be a very simple issue but I've tried everything and I still don't get a preview of the image.

I can change the view between Icon view, List view and Compact view and I can resize the icons as well.
I only want to get an image preview when I click on any image but I can't :oops:

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Can't get an image preview at file manager

Post by Cosmo. »

Mark the file, where you want to see a preview, and press the space bar. To see the preview of another file mark it and press space bar again. You can close the preview window also with space bar.
helmar

Post by helmar »

Thanks, @Cosmo but this is not exactly what I wanted.
It works but I know there is a way to have a side panel to show the preview instead of having to open the image.
Imagine that I have more than six hundred images in this folder to move to five different folders. It's not the best way to select the image having to press the space bar to see each and every image before moving it.

How do I set the side panel in which I can see an image preview when I hover or even click any image?
Tks
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Nemo doesn't provide such a feature for the side pane.

Use instead xviewer or pix for image browsing. (I would prefer pix; actually I use its predecessor gthumb.)
helmar

Post by helmar »

Hi Cosmo.
I've been using Pix for months. For me, it is the easiest and best for usual picture edition like enhancing focus, equalizing colours and so.
I have to admit that I haven't thought about using it to browse pictures but I still don't have the possibility to get a large preview at a glance and move it instantly to another folder in Pix.
Selecting browse option in Pix gives me a look quite similar to the icon view in File Manager.

Anyway, I will make use of it to do what I'm doing for now.

Thanks for your help
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

IIRC, "xnview" has a good thumbnail preview.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi helmar,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

You can also add another file manager like "Double Commander" which has a quick preview feature. The KDE Dolphin file manager is wonderful and has an excellent preview panel, but I am not sure if it will install correctly in other editions of Linux Mint.

A Powerful Dual-Pane File Manager `Double Commander` New Update for Ubuntu/Linux Mint - NoobsLab
https://www.noobslab.com/2017/01/a-powe ... nager.html

How to install doublecmd double commander linux app in ubuntu 16.04 - a best linux file manager
http://www.elinuxbook.com/install-doubl ... e-manager/

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

helmar wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:09 pm I have to admit that I haven't thought about using it to browse pictures but I still don't have the possibility to get a large preview at a glance and move it instantly to another folder in Pix.
Regarding the size: You can set the size in the preferences -> Browser. Or you can press F11 to get the picture in full screen display (anything bigger isn't possible, is it?).

Regarding moving: You can either drag & drop or you right click the picture(s) (it can be multiple) and select the command to move to.
helmar

Post by helmar »

phd21 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:57 pm Hi helmar,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

You can also add another file manager like "Double Commander" which has a quick preview feature. The KDE Dolphin file manager is wonderful and has an excellent preview panel, but I am not sure if it will install correctly in other editions of Linux Mint.

A Powerful Dual-Pane File Manager `Double Commander` New Update for Ubuntu/Linux Mint - NoobsLab
https://www.noobslab.com/2017/01/a-powe ... nager.html

How to install doublecmd double commander linux app in ubuntu 16.04 - a best linux file manager
http://www.elinuxbook.com/install-doubl ... e-manager/

Hope this helps ...
Flemur wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:36 pm IIRC, "xnview" has a good thumbnail preview.
Thanks @phd21 and @Flemur for your tips. I'll take a look at the other File Manager suggested. But I have to say that I'm very conservative (to not say funky ) about using things that are not standard from the original distro :roll:
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi helmar,

You are welcome... from all of us that replied...

There are many really good image browsers with previews like "pix", "XnViewMP", etc...

I was able to install "Dolphin" into Cinnamon, and have previews which had to be enabled, click Settings, Configure Dolphin, General Tab, Preview Tab, check all that you want, click Apply and OK. The preview "panel" on the right is called an "Information Panel" (F11). There is also a "slider" for changing the size of icon previews.

To install this open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

Linux Mint 18.x

Code: Select all

sudo apt install dolphin dolphin-plugins kde-runtime kio-extras ffmpegthumbs mplayerthumbs kffmpegthumbnailer kdesdk-thumbnailers kdegraphics-thumbnailers
Linux Mint 19.x

Code: Select all

sudo apt install dolphin dolphin-plugins kde-runtime kio-extras ffmpegthumbs kffmpegthumbnailer kdesdk-thumbnailers kdegraphics-thumbnailers

Restart your computer after installing these. You will have to restart Dolphin after making changes, Click View in toolbar and Preview, go into Settings - Configure Dolphin - Click General (left side) - check show tool tips - click Previews tab - check all, Apply, Ok.

I can understand not wanting to install somethings from other distributions, but there are some superb KDE applications that work well in all editions of Linux Mint.

Hope this helps ...

Dolphin_in_Cinnamon.jpg
Dolphin_in_Cinnamon2.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Is this the Dolphin File Manager that is in the Software Manager of 18.3 Mint?

and have you noticed any interference with it being loaded, as well as the native Nemo?
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi AZgl1500,

Yes, this is the one in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).

It has been awhile since I installed Dolphin in Linux Mint Cinnamon, or Mate, but I never noticed any problems.

Hope this helps ...
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I must be missing something, this is not a Preview of the images, just a bunch of icons.

Tried to configure it, but I don't see where to make Dolphin show the actual images instead of icons.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi AZgl1500,

Did you use my instructions to install it, did you reboot afterward, change the preview settings, restart dolphin? There is the possibility that you may also have to install "kde-runtime", but I thought that would have been installed with dolphin.

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I went back to Nemo and just changed the preferences to 400%

for me, Nemo is a lot easier to navigate, and its' previews do quite well.

if I want full screen, double click and it is there.

for something larger, I will select on of the other image viewers.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

phd21 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:20 pm Hi AZgl1500,

Did you use my instructions to install it, did you reboot afterward, change the preview settings, restart dolphin? There is the possibility that you may also have to install "kde-runtime", but I thought that would have been installed with dolphin.

No,
I just went to Software Manager and installed it from there.

so should I uninstall it and use the install link you showed instead?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

deleted the SM install, and used your link to install it.

I don't see any difference in the way it is working.

phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi AZgl1500,

You did not need to remove Dolphin first, but using command I gave would install it and the appropriate support packages.

You are only using the icon preview with the slider at the bottom at its maximum setting, try hitting F11 to open the information panel (display preview panel) that shows up on the right side and it is resizeable, or click View in its toolbar, then panels, information panel. This displays various information depending upon the file type like images, pdf, music, videos, etc...

Hope this helps ...
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Found the F11 info, at least that lets me see Folders,

but it is not showing a preview of a selected image....
I have looked at every preference item I see and applied it, nothing is working right.

phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi AZgl1500,

Previews have to be enabled, click Dolphin's Settings, Configure Dolphin, General button on left side, Preview Tab on right, check all the files you want previews of, click Apply and OK" restart Dolphin - see second screenshot.

Hope this helps ...

Return to “Cinnamon”