Cinnamon crashes, cannot be started

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jepe
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon crashes, cannot be started

Post by jepe »

I happen to have 2 machines, both running on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon...

today, after 2 PM, European time (4 hours ago), I booted one of them, and the warning message was there:
Cinnamon desktop failed to load. do you want to restart?

YES...

no success, it couldn't be started....

after some hours I went to the other machine, and guess what, the exact same thing happened...
that one has KDE, too... I switched to KDE and it works normally...
otherwise I would have reinstalled Linux Mint altogether...

on both machines, the last upgrades were openssl and libssl|1 0 0 0 -- but two days ago...

THERE is another thing:
I installed Pitivi (video editor application) on both machines yesterday... (Pitivi 0.95).
I started to install it through flatpak
using:

Code: Select all

$ sudo flatpak install --user https://flathub.org/repo/appstream/org.pitivi.Pitivi.flatpakref
Installation did NOT work through flatpak, but could do it through software manager.. successfully...

peter
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Cinnamon crashes, cannot be started

Post by smurphos »

Code: Select all

Apr 21 14:57:28 klara org.gnome.OnlineAccounts[2390]: goa-daemon-Message: goa-daemon version 3.18.3 starting
Apr 21 14:57:29 klara org.gnome.OnlineAccounts[2390]: (goa-daemon:2591): dconf-WARNING **: Unable to open /home/klara/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share/dconf/profile/user: Permission denied
Apr 21 14:57:29 klara org.gnome.OnlineAccounts[2390]: (goa-daemon:2591): goa-daemon-CRITICAL **: Error preparing AM: The name org.freedesktop.Telepathy.AccountManager was not provided by any .service files
This is what it was doing just before the crash. It might not be the cause but given the issue has arisen after a flatpak install and that's the common factor for both machines it's worth looking into.

I don't think you are supposed to install this the Pitivi flatpak from the command line with sudo. http://developer.pitivi.org/Install_wit ... =undefined explicitly states not to.

It looks like there is a permission issue in your home directory which could be a result of the failed attempt.

Try this to fix home directory permissions. I'd also be attempted to remove Pitivi temporarily. Then reboot.

sudo chown $USER:$USER -R /home/$USER
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
jepe
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cinnamon crashes, cannot be started

Post by jepe »

although years later, thank you !!

I did reinstall the whole thing and forgot about pitvi,
but your suggestion can be valuable for anyone in this situation!

thanks a lot!

Return to “Cinnamon”