Cant boot Mint 18.3 after installing nvidia driver

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Elijah_stlouis

Cant boot Mint 18.3 after installing nvidia driver

Post by Elijah_stlouis »

Like the title states, I cannot Boot into linux 18.3 cinnamon. After installing a nvidia driver. I pressed "e" and did "nomodeset" and i still cannot go in. I have tried recovery mode but, it says "Please unlock disk sda3_crypt:" at this point i have no idea what to do. If possible i require some assistance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Cant boot Mint 18.3 after installing nvidia driver

Post by jimallyn »

Elijah_stlouis wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:30 pmit says "Please unlock disk sda3_crypt:" at this point i have no idea what to do. If possible i require some assistance
Did you encrypt your hard drive? Do you know the password to decrypt it?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Elijah_stlouis

Post by Elijah_stlouis »

No, not to my knowledge.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Doesn't seem so. Might be, that you clicked to encrypt by error. Without entering the correct password there is no way out.
Elijah_stlouis

Post by Elijah_stlouis »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:27 pm Doesn't seem so. Might be, that you clicked to encrypt by error. Without entering the correct password there is no way out.
Is there anyway to get into my PC its new so I really dont care if i have to restart it
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Elijah_stlouis wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:33 pm
Cosmo. wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:27 pm Doesn't seem so. Might be, that you clicked to encrypt by error. Without entering the correct password there is no way out.
Is there anyway to get into my PC its new so I really dont care if i have to restart it
You will need to reinstall if you don't recall the password.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Elijah_stlouis wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:33 pm Is there anyway to get into my PC its new so I really dont care if i have to restart it
Yes, you can do a new installation with the live system, just as you did at the first time. In the easiest case select in the installation method dialog to replace the current installation and ensure, that nothing else gets selected or activated in this screen. The drive will get newly formatted and the encryption will be history.

Return to “Cinnamon”