Laptop mouse pad click registers as middle mouse click

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zonzon510

Laptop mouse pad click registers as middle mouse click

Post by zonzon510 »

Hello, I just installed linux mint, and am very new to linux. I am using an HP Pavilion laptop, and coming from windows. In windows, with my laptop mousepad, I can left click with a single soft touch with one finger (no physical click sound), or else I can also left click by pressing the lower left corner of my mouse pad and i hear the physical click sound. In Linux, I think the hard click where I push the button down and hear the click is being read as a middle click. Clicking like this has both pasted things (with the middle click paste function) and it also sends windows to the background when their window bar is clicked. This seems to happen only sometimes, and i'm not sure what triggers it. However, the lightly touching method with no physical click sound seems to have no problems however clicking like this, I cant click and drag anything so its quite an inconvenience. Also, I've had no problems with my mouse, only the mousepad. any advice?

thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zonzon510

Re: Laptop mouse pad click registers as middle mouse click

Post by zonzon510 »

issue is solved.

When using windows there was no distinction between a middle and left click on my touch pad by physically pressing the buttons. in linux, the middle of my mouse pad reads as a middle click, where previously in windows, the left and middle of my mousepad were both registered by windows as a left click

Return to “Cinnamon”