Change panel-menu effects (make it look like current GNOME's)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
noc
Level 1
Level 1

Change panel-menu effects (make it look like current GNOME's)

Post by noc »

Hello community!

The new effects on Cinnamon's panel menus - that look like KDE's (introduced in cinnamon 3.2 if I am right?) have always been choppy on my system, ruining part of an otherwise fluid experience with my desktop. I have been wondering if (and how) this could be changed in any config file, so I can revert the effects back to the original which worked like a charm (the same effect that GNOME uses for its panel menus too).

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop: Intel Core i3 2120 | Nvidia GeForce 750Ti | 8GB | 500GB HDD
Notebook: Intel Core i3 4005U | Intel HD 4400 / Nvidia GeForce 920M | 4GB | 256GB SSD + 500GB HDD
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Change panel-menu effects (make it look like current GNOME's)

Post by Cosmo. »

Which effect to you exactly mean?
noc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by noc »

Thank you for your interest. Take a look at this video: https://www.linuxmint.com/pictures/scre ... _menus.mp4
I wonder if this effect can be reverted to the previous animation that Cinnamon used for its menus, as seen at 1:52 on this video: https://youtu.be/ToFhMxgoFFg?t=1m52s
Notebook: Intel Core i3 4005U | Intel HD 4400 / Nvidia GeForce 920M | 4GB | 256GB SSD + 500GB HDD
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

You can't. Not unless you want to rewrite the js code that handles the menu animations.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
noc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by noc »

So, I need to change the code and recompile Cinnamon? Or is it a settings file that can be modified on the fly?
noc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by noc »

Which is the file that handles the menu effects? I will try to replace it with Cinnamon's 3.0 js file to see if I can revert back the smooth effects.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

noc wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:04 pm Which is the file that handles the menu effects? I will try to replace it with Cinnamon's 3.0 js file to see if I can revert back the smooth effects.
You can't do that. It is way more involved. Part of the reason it was changed was to remove a lot overly complex code for drawing and placing the pointer. It's across multiple files. Doing what you are talking about will just cause since to break horribly.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

noc wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:26 am So, I need to change the code and recompile Cinnamon? Or is it a settings file that can be modified on the fly?
Have you tried adjusting settings in the Cinnamon Effects settings module to see if you can get satisfactory experience? Specifically turning off 'Effects on menus'.

cinnamon-settings effects to launch from the terminal or search Effects in the menu.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
noc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by noc »

JosephM wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:33 am
noc wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:04 pm Which is the file that handles the menu effects? I will try to replace it with Cinnamon's 3.0 js file to see if I can revert back the smooth effects.
You can't do that. It is way more involved. Part of the reason it was changed was to remove a lot overly complex code for drawing and placing the pointer. It's across multiple files. Doing what you are talking about will just cause since to break horribly.
Ouch.. However, thanks again for your interest. As you explained, it's something that cannot be changed easily, probably not at all. Would it be viable to implement a set of menu effects too in the next version of Cinnamon (on Mint 19.1)? No need for the pointer part, just a smooth animation that would not feel laggy in an otherwise fluid and pleasantly smooth desktop experience.
noc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by noc »

smurphos wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 3:13 am
noc wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:26 am So, I need to change the code and recompile Cinnamon? Or is it a settings file that can be modified on the fly?
Have you tried adjusting settings in the Cinnamon Effects settings module to see if you can get satisfactory experience? Specifically turning off 'Effects on menus'.

cinnamon-settings effects to launch from the terminal or search Effects in the menu.
I have tried to disable the menu effects too, which partially solves the problem. However, it also disables animations for right-click menus. Probably I'll turn it off and live with it :P

Return to “Cinnamon”