Adding a Screensaver?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shatterblast

Adding a Screensaver?

Post by shatterblast »

I successfully installed Electric Sheep from source, and it seems to identify just fine as an "xscreensaver". While I confirmed that Electric Sheep does work, the Screensaver window for System Settings has not added it to the list.

Is there an app that would handle that? Or a manual process of adding a line to a file? Thank you for your time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Adding a Screensaver?

Post by catweazel »

shatterblast wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 5:40 am I successfully installed Electric Sheep from source, and it seems to identify just fine as an "xscreensaver". While I confirmed that Electric Sheep does work, the Screensaver window for System Settings has not added it to the list.
First, there is a PPA (https://launchpad.net/~ichthyo/+archive/ubuntu/zeug) for Electric Sheep that will run on Mint 18.x and 17.x.

Second, I think that in order to make it a screen saver, you need to take a look at these instructions. Be aware that they are now seven years old so if they don't work, they will at least point you in the right direction.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
shatterblast

Post by shatterblast »

catweazel wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 6:31 am Second, I think that in order to make it a screen saver, you need to take a look at these instructions. Be aware that they are now seven years old so if they don't work, they will at least point you in the right direction.
An initial effort did not work for adding Electric Sheep to the Screensaver window of System Settings. I think it did add it to the "xscreensaver-demo" however. Also, the Cinnamon default screensavers were replaced by those of the "xscreensaver" package, even after removal, but I am not concerned in that regard.

Thank you for your info.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

Bumping this as I am also stumped as to where to even begin with this :/
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

so after installing xscreensaver I have managed to get that working with the electric sheep screensaver but the lock screen is bloody ugly... I would really like the default cinnamon screensaver settings to be able to see the electric sheep screen saver it's seems blindingly obvious that if you install a screensaver that cinnamon screensaver settings should be able to see it :?

Return to “Cinnamon”