[SOLVED] How to get a second column in Nemo?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
InChrist
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] How to get a second column in Nemo?

Post by InChrist »

I found out incidentally that after a keyboard shortcut I cannot remember a secound column opened up so I could easily have two besides, copy and paste ... would be great to know this shortcut again. I also do not find it the option for a second column in the menu of Nemo.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Visit my profile link for NOW AND ETERNITY.
Kernel: 5.4.0-42-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.6 wm: muffin dm: LightDM
Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
inxi -Szxx from 2020 03 25
Sir Charles

Re: How to get a second column in Nemo?

Post by Sir Charles »

Once Nemo is opened, press F3 to get an extra pane.
InChrist
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to get a second column in Nemo?

Post by InChrist »

Great to know - do you know where I find such kind of information online also?
Sir Charles

Re: [SOLVED] How to get a second column in Nemo?

Post by Sir Charles »

I am afraid I don't know of any one particular website. One just have to try with some appropriate search words to see what it comes up. Since you asked for online sources I got curious. I tried with "nemo file manager user manual" and found this: http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2015/10/basi ... nager.html which actually contains the info about how to get an extra pane in Nemo.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

If you use dual pane view extensively there is an option in nemo preferences under the behaviours tab to always open it in dual pane view.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
InChrist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by InChrist »

Thanks to both of you! Great help! Love you guys ...
mr.travo

Post by mr.travo »

That's AWESOME! I could of been doing this easier for so long! That one's getting written down for useful shortcuts.

Thanks!

~T
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

mr.travo wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 1:54 pm That's AWESOME! I could of been doing this easier for so long! That one's getting written down for useful shortcuts.

Thanks!

~T
If you are not aware of Evernote, an electronic 'in the cloud' notebook, you should investigate it.
I have extensive notes on Linux, I preface each note with the Main idea,

e.g.
Linux Nemo Tips
Linux Terminal Commands
Linux Grub

when I see something in these forums that will help me in future, it goes into Evernote.

https://www.evernote.com/
The neatest thing about Evernote is, if you enter it once, it Syncs everything at once.

You are allowed to have two apps installed on PCs or Cellphones. ( free of charge )
I have one app on a cellphone, and one app on a Desktop PC.
but, the online version accessed by a browser is far faster.

Hint: Evernote do not sign out, just close the tab, next time you open it up, it comes back to the same Topic.

Logoff: and it will display in Preference Order.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi InChrist,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

FYI: Most file managers are able to use "tabs", right click and open a new tab also provides a second, or third, or fourth column, etc... so to speak, although not visible at the same time like "extra pane" or "split view", you can simply click another tab select files and or folders and select a function like copy, then click another tab, and paste.

FYI 2: Some file managers can have multiple split views (panels) open at the same time as well as tabs in each one either vertically or horizontally.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
mr.travo

Post by mr.travo »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:58 pm
mr.travo wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 1:54 pm That's AWESOME! I could of been doing this easier for so long! That one's getting written down for useful shortcuts.

Thanks!

~T
If you are not aware of Evernote, an electronic 'in the cloud' notebook, you should investigate it.
I have extensive notes on Linux, I preface each note with the Main idea,

e.g.
Linux Nemo Tips
Linux Terminal Commands
Linux Grub

when I see something in these forums that will help me in future, it goes into Evernote.

https://www.evernote.com/
The neatest thing about Evernote is, if you enter it once, it Syncs everything at once.

You are allowed to have two apps installed on PCs or Cellphones. ( free of charge )
I have one app on a cellphone, and one app on a Desktop PC.
but, the online version accessed by a browser is far faster.

Hint: Evernote do not sign out, just close the tab, next time you open it up, it comes back to the same Topic.

Logoff: and it will display in Preference Order.
NICE!!! Thank you for that! It's funny how I have gone without some of these conveniences for so long. Thank you for sharing the knowledge!

~T
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI InChrist, mr.travo,

I just read your posts and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

In addition to "evernote", there is also the superb and free "CherryTree" notes application for storing notes with pics and links, webpages, links to files, etc... I have my CherryTree database file synced with my cloud provider(s) so that I have it available from anywhere.

cherrytree – giuspen - installation instructions in the link for newer versions over the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).
https://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:giuspen/ppa

sudo apt update

sudo apt install cherrytree
Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Cinnamon”