Rotation issue on Surface Pro 2017

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dl_sledding

Rotation issue on Surface Pro 2017

Post by dl_sledding »

Intel Corporation 5926
Intel Corporation 9d35

I have LM 18.3 Cinnamon installed on a Surface Pro 2017. I have also installed the jakeday Surface Pro kernel (4.16.3), the inotify tools, and verified that iio-sensor-proxy was installed.

The screen rotation does not work, using the gyro and accelerometer sensors of the Surface. To perform some testing, I have configured three keyboard shortcut keys to perform xrandr "normal", "inverted", and "left" (portrait) functions. "Normal" and "inverted" work properly, but when I change to portrait, the screen goes black and is not recoverable. <ctrl><alt><bksp> doesn't even work; in fact, after using the <ctrl><alt><bksp> combo, I am still in the desktop, and can still run terminal and reboot. I have taken screenshots in portrait orientation, and the screenshot does show that the OS thinks it's in portrait. However, when I try to force it back to landscape (using the xrandr normal mode keyboard shortcut) and repeat the screenshot, the new screenshot still shows portrait mode.

I have brought this issue up on the jakeday kernel git page, and multiple people there have stated that they don't experience this issue on the SP2017, using other DMs. So, they are suggesting that it may be something in Cinnamon that is causing this.

I've been using Mint Cinnamon since version 11, and I'd really like to continue, but having a Surface that doesn't rotate is kind of silly... I'm at home in CLI, but troubleshooting the DM is not my forte'.

Any advice for troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dl_sledding

Re: Rotation issue on Surface Pro 2017

Post by dl_sledding »

No suggestions? Anyone?

Return to “Cinnamon”