Scaling of QT, JFX and wine on HDPI system

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jaymot

Scaling of QT, JFX and wine on HDPI system

Post by jaymot »

Thanks to smurphos's help in the thread at viewtopic.php?f=208&t=267046 GTK2 apps seem to be scaling properly on my Asus Zenbook UX303UB with a 3200x1800px 13 inch display (I wonder who thought that was a good idea, packing that many pixels into such a small screen?) but QT-based apps such as VLC and ZuluCrypt are still tiny, and so are a couple of Java JFX apps that I run. User Rehdon said he has the same issue with apps running in wine but I haven't personally verified that.

I use Mint Cinnamon, installed Sunday night, updated, with scaling set to 2 and font scaling set to 1.4. How do I go about getting QT, JFX and wine to scale?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Scaling of QT, JFX and wine on HDPI system

Post by Flemur »

https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-li ... -on-linux/
Those looking to use a HiDPi display with the Cinnamon desktop environment thankfully do not need to change any scaling settings to accommodate large resolutions. This is due to the fact that the developers who work on Cinnamon try very hard to make it so that everything works great as is. In fact, as you log in, the desktop does calculations to determine the correct scaling for everything. Still, if you want to adjust the scaling factors manually, here’s how to do it:

Open the Cinnamon menu, and search for “settings”. In the settings area, look for “General”, and click on it. From here, look for “User interface scaling”, and change it from “Auto” to any of the other options.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
jaymot

Post by jaymot »

I did that. Everything scaled except QT and JFX apps. Those open in a window about the size of a business card with extremely small fonts and icons.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

ASUS ZenBook UX303UB: QHD+ resolution of 3200 x 1800 ...with an incredible pixel density of 275 pixels .

But here comes the future: Sony's Xperia XZ Premium has a 4K display with a pixel density of 807 PPI, the highest of any smartphone as of 2017.

And that's on a fabulous 13" display - I'm calculating right now...
jaymot

Post by jaymot »

As a work-around I'm running my Zenbook at 1920x1080 resolution so those apps are big enough to use. It's just a temporary solution so I'm not marking this solved yet.

I don't think I'll be keeping this computer anyway: I have another laptop that I think will be a better solution for me than this one, once I can afford to have it repaired and upgraded, so I'll just be using this Asus for a few months.

Return to “Cinnamon”