non-responsive screen saver

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

non-responsive screen saver

Post by dhdurgee »

I encountered something unusual this morning. When I came into my office this morning the screen on my laptop was blanked with a timestamp of 23:?? on it? I entered my password to unlock, but there was no response at all. I hit ctl-alt-F1 and was able to logon in a terminal window. I ran top, which showed cinnamon eating the CPU. I tried killing the cinnamon-screensaver without effect. I tried killing cinnamon with no effect. I finally hit ctl-alt-BS to restart x and got my desktop back.

How should I have recovered from this situation? Using an x restart seems extreme and could lose me work. Running LM 18.3 x64 cinnamon.

Dave
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BozoDel

Re: non-responsive screen saver

Post by BozoDel »

Bump. I've been having the same issue.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Output from inxi -Fxz would be good.

Do either of you have additional extensions/applets/desklets installed? If so make sure they are up to date. Buggy add-ons have been implicated with memory leaks in Cinnamon, particularly those that monitor the system (CPU temps etc).
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dhdurgee »

smurphos wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:17 pm Output from inxi -Fxz would be good.

Do either of you have additional extensions/applets/desklets installed? If so make sure they are up to date. Buggy add-ons have been implicated with memory leaks in Cinnamon, particularly those that monitor the system (CPU temps etc).
I have the Multi-Core System Monitor version 1.7.1 installed here. Checking further, it does appear there is an update available that I will check into.

Do you want that output of that command now, when the problem manifests itself, or both?

Dave

PS: have updated and now running version 1.8.4 of the Multi-Core System Monitor
Last edited by dhdurgee on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
BozoDel

Post by BozoDel »

Thanks! Updating the CPU monitor applet seems to have fixed it for me. It's weird that it doesn't update through the update manager like everything else, though.

Return to “Cinnamon”