SOLVED - Cinnamon crash on boot after hard shutdown

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
benchrest
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED - Cinnamon crash on boot after hard shutdown

Post by benchrest »

My wife's machine froze after plugging in phone to download pictures. After powering off holding down power button, reboot cinnamon crashes. Using a livecd thunbdrive cinnamon works fine. So I think the hardware is ok. Booting from SSD all else seems to work except cinnamon.
I tried reinstalling cinnamon with
sudo apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon
Also tried renaming .cinnamon to cinnamonx and a new .cinnamon does not get created.
Tried renaming .config/cinnamon-session to .config/cinnamon-sessionx and a new one is created.
What else do I need to do?
My machine and my wife's are identical except I have dual monitors so I can compare settings if necessary.
LinuxMint 18.3 cinnamon
cinnamon 3.6.7
linux kernal 4.13.0-43 generic (tried older kernal)
Graphics card Nvidia GT218 (GeForce 210) ASUS GeForce EN210
Samsung 256gb SSD
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM Cinnamon 19, ASUS TUF B450M, Ryzen 5 2600x, 16gb memory, Samsung SSD 970 EVO-Plus 500gb, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256gb, dual 27" monitors, MSI GEFORCE GTX 1050ti Areo ITX. Big user of Gramps, LibreOffice, Unison.
benchrest
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Cinnamon crash on boot after hard shutdown

Post by benchrest »

I have the old harddrive from pre SSD days on this machine with a 17.x version of LM Cinnamon, it boots fine with cinnamon. Must either be cinnamon data corrupted on SSD or SSD is bad.
I fired up the Synaptic Package Manager and deleted all components of Cinnamon with mark for complete removal including configuration files. Maybe I missed something. But I reinstalled with sudo apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon
No change, cinnamon still fails.
I wish I knew a command(s) that would insure cinnamon was completely removed and then reinstall.
My only option I know how todo is a complete reinstall which is time consuming. Not to install LM, but to set up firewall, install apps, restore backup files etc.
LM Cinnamon 19, ASUS TUF B450M, Ryzen 5 2600x, 16gb memory, Samsung SSD 970 EVO-Plus 500gb, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256gb, dual 27" monitors, MSI GEFORCE GTX 1050ti Areo ITX. Big user of Gramps, LibreOffice, Unison.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Go back to basics:

Use a FOB or a CD/DVD Live Session to totally Erase the disk and install from there.

That will guarantee that you have a brand new install that will run smooth.

hope you have been making backups?

Aptik can copy the entire system keeping all of her Preferences.

LuckyBackup or BackInTime can keep her personal files safe if stored on an extHDD extUSB HDD
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
benchrest
Level 3
Level 3

Post by benchrest »

I have good backups (I hope). Tried
sudo apt-get remove cinnamon
sudo apt-get purge cinnamon
sudo apt-get install cinnamon
as with my previous attempts no luck
I have installed 18.3 fresh and cinnamon seems ok
installed 115 updates and reboot ok
am currently loading backup files.
I suspect this solution will work. Will mark resolved in a couple of hours.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

none of those sudo...... attempts are going to give you a nice clean running OS.

erase and full install is the only way to guarantee it will be right, and the time involved is the same or less.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
benchrest
Level 3
Level 3

Re: SOLVED - Cinnamon crash on boot after hard shutdown

Post by benchrest »

Reinstall of Cinnamon 18.3 worked and is still working. So apparently no permanent failure of SSD.

Return to “Cinnamon”