Cinnamon 3.67 Segfault when opening Mendeley Desktop 1.19 on Mint 18.3

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
biolife1212
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon 3.67 Segfault when opening Mendeley Desktop 1.19 on Mint 18.3

Post by biolife1212 »

Everytime I open Mendeley Desktop 1.19 Cinnamon 3.67 crashes and enters fall-back mode. I follow the prompt to restart Cinnamon and as long as Mendeley Desktop has loaded completely everything seems fine. Checking the system log shows :
kernel: [ 3583.965235] cinnamon[1942]: segfault at c0 ip 00007f2cd8813340 sp 00007fff2d1add18 error 4 in libgio-2.0.so.0.4800.2[7f2cd8775000+180000]
Anyone else having this problem or have ideas on how to resolve the issue?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepengarg

Re: Cinnamon 3.67 Segfault when opening Mendeley Desktop 1.19 on Mint 18.3

Post by deepengarg »

Hi

I found a solution although I don't know why exactly it is happening. The problem lies with Java. So I proceeded as following:
1. Uninstalled Mendeley
2. sudo find Mendeley and removed all the extra files except for icons
3. Checked Java version and found that it is not installed. So I installed openjdk-8-jre
4. Installed Mendeley again and voila!

I will post an update if and when this stops working (Their software is pretty fickle)

EDIT: It started crashing Cinnamon. Upon looking further into problem, I found that it might also be caased by problem with qt libraries and Cinnamon which is not contained to only Mendeley. If I install Mendeley from Software center, that version is unable to connect to internet.

https://service.elsevier.com/app/answer ... /mendeley/

And the first they refer to in the solution does not exist in the repositories anymore. I installed the second package, libqt4-svg, and kept the version installed from software center as well, and so far the version 1.19.1 from their website is able to load without crashing Cinnamon.

I shall again post an update when this stops working

Return to “Cinnamon”