The middle mouse button no longer unrolls the contextual menu

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ManuD_Linux

The middle mouse button no longer unrolls the contextual menu

Post by ManuD_Linux »

Hello,

I'm testing Linux Mint 19 (beta) and Cinnamon (version 3.8.4) and I discover with fright that during a drag and drop, the middle mouse button (wheel button) no longer unrolls the contextual menu (which allowed to choose to copy / move / create a symbolic link ...). Catastrophe! I did not find the option to reactivate this behavior.
Help! I use this function for years, it's too convenient. If this option disappears, how to make the choice to copy or move without using the keyboard? How to make a symbolic link? I hope it's just an oversight and that it will be corrected (I'm worried, I don't see much feedback on this bug).

Thanks in advance.

Manu
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: The middle mouse button no longer unrolls the contextual menu

Post by JoeFootball »

ManuD_Linux wrote:I'm testing Linux Mint 19 (beta) and Cinnamon (version 3.8.4) ... I don't see much feedback on this bug.
There's actually a few mentions of it on the LM 19 Beta Cinnamon blog post (that's where Clem asked that bug reports for Beta versions go).

If you have any additional information not already there, I wouldn't hesitate to post it.

Joe
Chemical_Ali
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chemical_Ali »

Sorry I cannot view the comments in the above mentioned post. I am using the release version Mint 19 Cinnamon. I have the same issue as ManuD_Linux.
thomas.raines
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thomas.raines »

ManuD_Linux wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:35 pm Hello,

I'm testing Linux Mint 19 (beta) and Cinnamon (version 3.8.4) and I discover with fright that during a drag and drop, the middle mouse button (wheel button) no longer unrolls the contextual menu (which allowed to choose to copy / move / create a symbolic link ...). Catastrophe! I did not find the option to reactivate this behavior.
Help! I use this function for years, it's too convenient. If this option disappears, how to make the choice to copy or move without using the keyboard? How to make a symbolic link? I hope it's just an oversight and that it will be corrected (I'm worried, I don't see much feedback on this bug).

Thanks in advance.

Manu
I too use the middle mouse button for moving, copying and linking files/folders. I do not see any comments in the above mentioned link either. However, a bit of googling led me to this:
https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/1289 in a reply from ManIVIctorious, he mentions to use the alt button while dragging to achieve the contextual menu. I learned, that you have to click on the file/folder in question prior to holding the alt button. Although a but inconvenient from what we are use to, at least it is not completely gone.

As for the blog post mentioned by JoeFootball, there are no comments displaying nor is there a "reply" or "comment" button on that page. I also tried searching for comments to that blog, but did not find anything valid. I would like to alert Clem to this situation, and hopefully get this feature added back to nemo.

Return to “Cinnamon”