Cinnamon + Mate + Xfce on LM 19

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
aNobody_81
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon + Mate + Xfce on LM 19

Post by aNobody_81 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:03 pm

Hello everyone, I'm using Linux Mint since version 3.0 (Cassandra) :shock: . Therefore I'm not a newbie with this system, but I would like to have a suggestion from all you guys.

According to you all, after the installation of LM 19 Cinnamon, is it "safe" (stability-wise) to install the other two DE Mate and Xfce? After all they use the xapps and the dependencies are not so many (like KDE for example). I think that the sessions are well separated (apart for the file managers and some utility). What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance :D

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Cinnamon + Mate + Xfce on LM 19

Post by gm10 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:14 pm

If you use separate users for each DE then the overlap is minimal, all you'll notice is basically some of the apps that come with the other DE also appearing in your menu (but you can hide them). I can confirm that Cinnamon and MATE coexist just fine.

If you use multiple DE with the same user then you are getting more overlap, e.g. also your preferred apps will be shared (mimeapps.list), and more. So only do the latter case if you understand why and how that is happening and how to deal with it (a logon script here and there takes care of it). Cinnamon and MATE still coexist well enough even if you do nothing about it but I do not strictly recommend that.

I haven't used Xfce in years so won't comment on how that plays with the others.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

galaxy0815

Post by galaxy0815 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:24 pm

After all they use the xapps and the dependencies are not so many (like KDE for example). I think that the sessions are well separated (apart for the file managers and some utility). What do you guys think?
I have installed LM19 MATE and then installed Plasma 5.12 LTS desktop. So I could use the X-Apps in KDE Plasma as same as in MATE. I like it very much. I used the X-Apps also with LM18 KDE. New to me was Pix. This tool is SOO great. I love it much more than gwenview from the KDE framework. Since a week it is my Number One for viewing my pictures.

I am using Xed very often. Of cause I am using KWrite and Kate, as same as Geany. But for me, since a year Xed is the most used tool for editing single files.

aNobody_81
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aNobody_81 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:02 am

Thanks gm10 for your advice. Now I'm exclusively on cinnamon (LM 19), but I'm very curious to try (without break anything) KDE Plasma 5.13. :?: In the kubuntu backports there is still 5.12 LTS. This brings me to a question for galaxy0815. How do you install the plasma desktop on LM 19? Did you use the kubuntu backports ppa? And lastly how can I install the KDE plasma DE without all the extra stuff (Applications and Utilities)? I know, I'm asking a lot, but if you can answer me, I would be very grateful to you. BTW, anyone who knows it can answer of course. :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:07 pm

I installed multiple desktops early on and it's an interesting experience, but I quickly got tired of my applications being a mess. A much less cluttered option would be to shave off a few small partitions maybe 30-50gb each and multi-boot. That way you experience the different versions without the mess. As for Plasma, you might check out KDE Neon which will have all the up to date versions of Plasma:
https://neon.kde.org/

galaxy0815

Post by galaxy0815 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:54 am

aNobody_81 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:02 am
This brings me to a question for galaxy0815. How do you install the plasma desktop on LM 19? Did you use the kubuntu backports ppa? And lastly how can I install the KDE plasma DE without all the extra stuff (Applications and Utilities)?
Yes!

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
and

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop kde-config-gtk-style kde-config-gtk-style-preview
works great.

There are no applications from the KF5 installed. All this you can do as you like.

On my hardware LM19 KDE runs since four weeks perfectly. I installed it on a new and additional harddisk. For the first time I selected the new system by BIOS menu. As I was shure, I configured GRUB again (since a week!) and everything was perfect. The time after I am copying all my additions and experiences from the old disk to the new one. I think next month I will format the old harddisk and get it out. Seems to be my next backup disk for a icy box.

If you like to config your own Login (display manager), it's better to install SDDM from the Ubuntu Universe repository.

apt-get install sddm kde-config-sddm sddm-theme-breeze
https://www.systutorials.com/docs/linux ... sddm.conf/
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bio ... onf.5.html

Have a look.

$ apt-cache search theme | grep ^sddm
Inside systemsettings by download option there are more themes.

Have a look - there are some more plugins for systemsettings.

$ apt-cache search kde-config

Return to “Cinnamon”