Mint 19 Cinnamon freezes eventually

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dukenukemx
Level 4
Level 4

Mint 19 Cinnamon freezes eventually

Post by Dukenukemx »

So I just installed Mint 19 Cinnamon yesterday and after a few minutes Cinnamon will freeze. If I leave it alone, it may take longer to freeze but when I open firefox or Nemo, then I have a TTL (time to live) before Cinnamon will freeze. I can still move the mouse, and the only way out of this is to Ctrl+Alt+F2 and then type sudo reboot.

The only solution I've found is to install Mate and use that instead. I'm using a Radeon HD 7850, and I haven't updated the graphic drivers yet. Oibaf PPA is broken and I can't figure out how to install the AMDGPU-Pro 18.20 drivers. Either Cinnamon doesn't like the included open source drivers or the open source drivers are bugged. I can't tell which.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Mint 19 Cinnamon freezes eventually

Post by Pjotr »

Dukenukemx wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:15 pm The only solution I've found is to install Mate and use that instead.
That's probably the best solution in your case. And even then, I advise to disable all visual effects in MATE:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ts-in-MATE
(item 5.2, right column)

The default AMD drivers are fine; forget the closed source AMD drivers.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Dukenukemx
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dukenukemx »

The default AMD drivers would be fine, but I'm having issues. I tried to run Minecraft and get this error.

OpenGL: ~~ERROR~~ RuntimeException: No OpenGL context found in the current thread.

This was not a problem with Mint 18.3, but then again I was using Oibaf PPA for the latest open source drivers. The PPA is currently broken, but the included drivers should work. Might explain Cinnamon's unreliability.
Dukenukemx
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dukenukemx »

Here's an update, I'm able to run Minecraft now because I installed the AMDGPU-PRO 18.20 driver. So yea, the included AMD driver in Mint 19 is broken. I'm gonna switch now to Cinnamon and see if I'm right that Cinnamon would freeze cause of included shit drivers.
Dukenukemx
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dukenukemx »

Another update, I'm using Cinnamon now and no problems yet. Would only take a few minutes before it'll freeze. I'll update if it happens again.
McCloud

Post by McCloud »

Dukenukemx wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:19 pm Here's an update, I'm able to run Minecraft now because I installed the AMDGPU-PRO 18.20 driver. So yea, the included AMD driver in Mint 19 is broken. I'm gonna switch now to Cinnamon and see if I'm right that Cinnamon would freeze cause of included shit drivers.
Hello, i'm new at linux and have the same issue. Plus, I have a same Radeon VGA model.

Sometimes using Firefox or playing at Retroarch the system just freezes and i need to reboot manually. Already checked memory and HD and 0 errors.

How can I get info about my drivers version and update to a new version like you?

Return to “Cinnamon”