Cinnamon 3.8.x and later - Mint 19.x and 20.x Additional Window Borders / Metacity Themes

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Cinnamon 3.8.x - Mint 19 Additional Window Borders / Metacity Themes

Post by smurphos »

kwyrky wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:20 pm
Is there an easy way to modify the Mint-Y-Dark-BB Theme that comes with that package, so hat the title bar icons get even bigger?
So you need a text editor - xed is fine.

In the metacity-1 folder you'll find the icons used for the buttons in SVG format and a metacity-theme-3.xml file.

SVG's can be modified with a text editor. Open an icon file and look for the height= and width= fields. Each icon has them in two places (so 4 values to edit per icon). Change the values. The stock values are 16, the Mint-Y-BB values are 24. I've just tested and 32 or 48 seems OK as-well. Do that for all the icon files.

Then in the metacity-theme-3.xml look for these lines - these are from the stock themes. Adjust them to make sure they are both the same or greater than the button size you have set in the SVG files. Extra height will display as vertical padding around the button. Extra width will add to the gap between buttons.

Code: Select all

<distance name="button_width" value="30"/>
  <distance name="button_height" value="16"/>
Work in progress - testing a 48px icon with 56px button size...

I need to refresh the Mint-Y-BB themes in any case to catch up on color and contrast improvements in the stock themes. Maybe I'll do an extra set VBB (very big buttoned) but will go for 32px buttons rather than 48px buttons.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

kwyrky
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Cinnamon 3.8.x and later - Mint 19.x Additional Window Borders / Metacity Themes

Post by kwyrky »

Thank you I was able to make the changes and it worked well for me :D

RemonK
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cinnamon 3.8.x and later - Mint 19.x Additional Window Borders / Metacity Themes

Post by RemonK »

Thank you indeed!! Was looking for that same thing. Is there also a setting for the distance of the icons from each other?
Het leven is net een kartbaan; Sensatie, adrenaline en veel te snel voorbij!
Joeptjoep - Feestboek

ichido
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ichido »

Thanks!!!
I wanted the CRUX window borders and your advise worked!
Using LM-19.3
:D
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. –Plato

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Post by smurphos »

Version 0.8 of the window borders pack released. First post updated.

30/5/20 -v.0.8 - Retired Crux with Icons. Added Crux-Left for users who change the button layout to Left. Added VBB (Very Big Buttoned) variations of Mint-Y and Mint-Y-Dark. Added Cinnamox-Colours. All themes have an index.theme so can be selected in MATE.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Drugwash
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Drugwash »

Just out of curiosity: why did you retire Crux-with-icons? It wasn't working or...?
Such app icon option would be very useful for making other themes as similar to Win themes as possible. I'd very much like that in my Rose theme.

Also I read Metacity might be retired too from Mint, which would be a shame unless any other similar theming capability would be implemented, but even then porting old/current themes would take quite some time and effort. Any insight on this, please?

Oh and just remembered I promised some time ago to send my theme to you for a checkup. Unfortunately I haven't worked much on it since, and it's still incomplete (and possibly buggy in certain areas). Will try to send it someday if you have the time and will.

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Post by smurphos »

Drugwash wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:35 am
Just out of curiosity: why did you retire Crux-with-icons? It wasn't working or...?
Such app icon option would be very useful for making other themes as similar to Win themes as possible. I'd very much like that in my Rose theme.
Cinnamon dropped support for the mini-icon feature in Cinnamon 4.2 (Mint 19.2) so I didn't see much point is continuing to offer it as it doesn't work properly after Mint 19.2. Anyone who really wants it can still get an older release from https://github.com/smurphos/Window_Bord ... 9/releases

Drugwash
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Drugwash »

I see. Well, guess there's no point in trying to make it work in my theme then. Thank you.

Windows2Linux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Windows2Linux »

I tried putting the first command into the Terminal and it said 'command not found?' In my defense it's on been a week with Mint 19.3. Learning as I go!

LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

Windows2Linux wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:30 pm
I tried putting the first command into the Terminal and it said 'command not found?' In my defense it's on been a week with Mint 19.3. Learning as I go!
What first command? Is your Mint, Cinnamon?
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php

Windows2Linux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Windows2Linux »

Yes, sorry it's Cinnamon, I read the post about larger buttons as I can't see them that well and I'm trying to install the larger ones by following the instructions, however the first command I typed in Terminal didn't work. I did remember to type sudo first.

LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

Windows2Linux wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:14 pm
Yes, sorry it's Cinnamon, I read the post about larger buttons as I can't see them that well and I'm trying to install the larger ones by following the instructions, however the first command I typed in Terminal didn't work. I did remember to type sudo first.
Don't put sudo
Just copy and paste them exactly as smurmophs has them.
Press Enter after each command is pasted.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php

Windows2Linux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Windows2Linux »

Windows2Linux wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:30 pm
[Solved] @LanceM Thank you it worked! The newer bigger buttons are on my laptop!

kwyrky
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kwyrky »

Does this still work with Linux Mint 20 Ulyana?

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Post by smurphos »

kwyrky wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:49 am
Does this still work with Linux Mint 20 Ulyana?
Yep - they work fine for Mint 20

kwyrky
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kwyrky »

:D

Return to “Cinnamon”