Cinnamon 3.8.x and later - Mint 19.x and 20.x Additional Window Borders / Metacity Themes

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Cinnamon 3.8.x - Mint 19 Additional Window Borders / Metacity Themes

Post by smurphos »

tmf2 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:50 pm Forgot to mention having the ability to edit the themes and controls in Mint likeyou can in KDE Plasma would be a really big plus for this distro.
You might find https://github.com/themix-project/oomox interesting/useful
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

It looks like the Ravefinity themes are no longer being worked on and were never updated to support newer gtk versions. There is nothing we can do about that.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
andyO
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andyO »

Just wanted to give a shout out of thanks to Smurphos.

I downloaded your Mint-Y-BB theme files and examined them to see how to make the buttons bigger. Now I have made my own metacity theme with bigger window min/max/close buttons and the close button coloured red when you hover over it. These were the only changes that I wanted to make to Mint-Y and you have inspired/taught me how to do it. Thanks!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

You are welcome AndyO...

Version 0.5 just uploaded. Adds a Crux variant that replaces the generic menu icon with the actual application icon. Also added all of the thumbnails to the download just in case they disappear from Mint's default artwork at some point.

Download instructions in first post updated.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Updated download available - instructions in first post updated.

5/11/18 - v.0.6 - HighContrast - Fixed inner button prelight and pressed background colors.
Cinema+Scope 1

Post by Cinema+Scope 1 »

Sorry, is it confirmed to be OK to use on Mint/Mate? I've just recently installed Mint 19 and couldn't find Crux window borders which I'm used to.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Sorry these are Cinnamon only.

You can grab Crux that should work with Mate from here https://github.com/charlesbos/metacity-themes
redlined

Post by redlined »

awesome thread, I'm really liking that mintydarkBB with cinnamox-aubergine controls now (mintydarkpurple desktop), all nice and richly gently on these tired old eyes, thanks smurphos! I have to ask, fully appreciating and benefiting often your advice these forums, but not fully realizing the effort nor resources required to establish such much less maintain a... PPA?
(regardless my novice fears confirmed, thank you for the work involved in all this! :mrgreen:
bforest76

Post by bforest76 »

Hello,
Is it possible to change the titlebar heigth and to enlarge the icon to close the window ?
Thanks a lot.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

bforest76 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:31 pm Hello,
Is it possible to change the titlebar heigth and to enlarge the icon to close the window ?
Thanks a lot.
Any particular theme? There are Big Buttoned versions of the Mint-Y themes already included. Height you can modify via increasing the size of the Title-bar font in Font settings. Some metacity themes will resize the buttons when you do this any any case (ones that don't use png images for the buttons).
bforest76

Post by bforest76 »

Hello Smurphos,
I have 3 themes by default : Mint-X, Mint-Y, Mint-Y-Dark.
"There are Big Buttoned versions of the Mint-Y themes already included." That is what I'm looking for. Where can I access to this theme ?
Thanks a lot.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Follow the instructions in the first post.
redlined

Post by redlined »

hi smurphos!

been meaning to get back on the BigButton wagon after reinstall this past weekend, I do not recall this error in running commands from first post last time though so need to ask... what to do?

Code: Select all

anyuser@f023:~$ unzip metacity_for_mint19_cinn.zip -d ~/.themes
Archive:  metacity_for_mint19_cinn.zip
replace /home/anyuser/.themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename: 
my apologies if you addressed this, it appears I missed mention if so. I was consider cancel then rename original to .bak but don't feel a need to if it is meant to replace the original file.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

It's just asking your agreement to overwrite the files in ~./themes from your previous download because my instructions don't have any parameters for the unzip command to override the default behaviour of unzip. The intention is to over-write.

unzip -o metacity_for_mint19_cinn.zip -d ~/.themes
would override that behaviour. Instructions updated.
redlined

Post by redlined »

smurphos wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:37 am It's just asking your agreement to overwrite the files in ~./themes from your previous download because my instructions don't have any parameters for the unzip command to override the default behaviour of unzip. The intention is to over-write.

unzip -o metacity_for_mint19_cinn.zip -d ~/.themes
would override that behaviour. Instructions updated.
Thanks for explaining and the fix. In a moment of brainless space I did forget I had reinstalled just OS, reusing old /home and username/pass, so any overwrite would have been expected, as they already existed... I saw adwaita and spaced it, thinking it is default system theme and...idk :oops:

-o switch took away the fear and I got a refresh of themes already there from last time (but now I remember to go set them :wink:
bforest76

Post by bforest76 »

smurphos wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:41 pm Follow the instructions in the first post.
Thanks a lot, it works very well !!!
Jeanne

Post by Jeanne »

Thank you very much, I was looking for the Ambiance/Radiance themes to try to reproduce the look of the old versions of Ubuntu in Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon and unfortunately I couldn't make them work but the Adwaita border will also be useful for another theme.
kwyrky
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kwyrky »

Thank you so much. I especially like the Mint-Y-Dark-BB Theme! I like bigger window controls the default ones are waaaaaaay to small :D

This one should actually be present in a default linux mint intallation IMHO
RemonK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RemonK »

serveimage.herschaald.gif
serveimage.herschaald.gif (188.26 KiB) Viewed 3988 times
Thank you thank you thank you!! I've been searching for months for a theme with a little more dept in it! All those boring flat themes are as ugly as hell. If windows overlap i always click on the wrong bar, you can't see which window is active.. 9 of 10 theme i downloaded did not work or half the buttons were invisible!? And now i have finally something to grab if i want to resize my window without moving my mouse on a micromillimeter scale!!! :x Searching for a nice theme for cinnamon is a dissaster!

I love the crux-with-icons in combi with adapta-nokto and Windows Se7en menu! Now i only have to tweak a few little things..
I would like the menu a little darker and the face of the windows a little lighter. But for now i'm very happy! 8)
Schermafdruk van 2019-08-31 00-40-49.png
Het leven is net een kartbaan; Sensatie, adrenaline en veel te snel voorbij!
Joeptjoep - Feestboek
kwyrky
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kwyrky »

Is there an easy way to modify the Mint-Y-Dark-BB Theme that comes with that package, so hat the title bar icons get even bigger? With easy I mean some explanation at least which are the values that need to be changed inside the underlying xml file of that particular theme or some kind of tool? How are these themes made in the first place? I really like the Mint-Y-Dark-BB theme and it works with Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia too.

Return to “Cinnamon”