Linux Mint 19, Cinnamon constantly crashes after upgrade

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikyle

Re: Linux Mint 19, Cinnamon constantly crashes after upgrade

Post by mikyle »

I was happy. Through this forum, I found an answer to a problem with my update and, after some errands, tried to use the notebook. Software rendering sucks; videos would skip, browsers to hang, and editing a document (plain text) couldn't keep up with my typing. Oddest thing; I'd be typing out a paragraph and getting ready to start a new one just to see the screen start with the first sentence.

I heard the advice of going back to 18.3 and reminded myself that I wanted the new Cinnamon for its improvements in window management and memory. I am tapping out, I have to downgrade to a timeshift before the update and I'll wait for either 19.2 or an opportunity for fresh install.
arthurprs

Post by arthurprs »

Just tried again (w/ new mintupgrade) and the upgrade worked beautifully. The Ubuntu fix did the trick :D
no no
Level 1
Level 1

Post by no no »

Has anybody else the same success?
royg

Post by royg »

Most reliable way seems to be to do a fresh install instead of an upgrade. Much quicker, and none of the problems associated with the upgrade process. Note; you'll need to have /home on a separate partition if you don't want the fresh install to overwrite your home folder...
no no
Level 1
Level 1

Post by no no »

This is not really acceptable if you have sophisticated set-up.

To recreate them take hours.

We should have a solution like there is for Samsung machines for example. Through Smart Switch you are able to do a fresh install and then to import your data and set-up (even sophisticated) with no errors.

I think I better wait for a mint 19.2 or .3.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

no no wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:28 am We should have a solution...
Aptik...https://github.com/teejee2008/aptik
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
no no
Level 1
Level 1

Post by no no »

promising thank you, I will try it asap. I am busy on other topics for now.

Return to “Cinnamon”